Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: new to the forum
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:59 am 

Hi I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed in january of this year with a grade 2 astrocytoma. I am just 32 years of age.
I refuse to read all the survival rate stastics, and prefer to focus on the people who seem to have survived longer than what is deemed the norm. I have just recently changed hospitals to a consultant neuro surgeon in the national neuro hospital in London. As he was the first person through all my diagnosis and treatment that seemed to be quite proactive and agressive in his approach. I liked his attitude. He was dead honest with me and although I might not have liked what he told me I liked the fact he also spoke of choices and new options that are out there.
I was lucky and had over 90 percent of my tumour removed and after the MDT meeting it was decided that at the present time I did not need chemo or radiation therapy. I have had my first 6 monthly MRI scan and there is no sign of a tumour however there are some abnormal cells there that could develop into the tumour again. I am looking all the time at new drug trials and the like. I am looking all over the world for any new treatments that might mean that im not dead in the next few years.

I feel really healthy, and weirdly since the diagnosis in January of this year it has totally changed my life for the better ! I am getting married in a few months and I want kids...some people might think this is selfish...but i want to get on and live a normal a life as possible. I am 32 and i deserve that.
I would LOVE to hear from other people even if its just for a chat or whatever....I only just found this site so i am delighted ! hopefull hear from people soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:42 am 

Welcome to the site!

Your positive attitude may be one of your greatest assets. Your age, assumed karnofsky score and general health are also good indications.

Another factor on how effective treatments are likely to be is the size of the residual tumour. That you indicate no sign of residual treatment is the best result - now you can focus on the prevention of recurrence.

My experience has taught me that cancer is a chronic disease and medicine provides necessary acute treatment. Medical intervention aims to remove as much tumour as safely as possible. When I realised that it was a chronic disease a light went on. What things could I change to give me the best possible chance of surviving and living well?

Some of the answers I came up with were vitamin D, eating mainly fruit and veges, have good fats including fish & fish oils, tumeric and select supplements. I reasoned that if I improved the quality of my life I would improve the quantity.

I wish you all the best. Inflammation is now your worst enemy. Laughter, positivity, fitness, health, nutrition, relaxation and sunshine can be your best friends :).

Post subject: Best wishes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:37 pm 

Good luck and we hope to hear continuing good news of no futher growth or recurrence.

Post subject: hi!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:41 pm 

Hi, hope you are doing well? I too have an Astrocytoma Grade2, i,m in my third year since diagnosis and i too refused to look at survival rates and other stastics. Im in Lancashire in the UK an had a craniotomy in Walton Hospital, Liverpool and had 90% removed, I've had no sign of regrowth as yet and after taking a while to recover (mentaly was the worst over physicaly!)i am now driving again and have a job. I've always tried to remain positive and took up meditation to help with relaxation. I try to be mindful and really do take each day as it comes, you will understandably have both good and bad days.Iwas MISdiagnosed 2 years earlier as having a stroke so really i,m a five yearer at the moment!! I haven't been on this site for about 6 months but i,ll keep popping back to check on your progress. Iwish you well with your forthcoming wedding and future plans, my best wishes to you, take care and stay positive!
p.s. i've had g0od info re supplements on this site such as grapeseedextract ,eat a healthy diet and exercise, but i simply can't give up chocolate!! regards Julie x