Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:20 am 

Hi - does anyone know how to reduce brain swellling without using cortisone-like steroids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:11 am 

I think we need to be careful to differentiate acute from chronic swelling.

I believe that we rely medical intervention for acute swelling, eg post-op. Unfortunately, this usually means steriods. Not having them can mean a potentially life threatening situation.

My opinion is also based on the premise that natural anti-inflammatories work, they just take longer. Omega 3's are very good as are many of the things you will find in the research section of this site.

Now none of these are going to be particularly effective unless you eliminate the most common causes of swelling. These include processed foods and trans fats - again you'll need to see the research section.

So I believe it is important to distinguish between the two situations. None of us like taking steriods but medical intervention is unavoidable once you have been diagnosed and you have to deal with the good and the bad.

That doesn't mean that you can't make lifestyle changes straight away - just try not to do anything extreme and keep your doctors informed. That is one reason it is good to have a choice of doctors if possible. Unfortunately, that usually comes down to whether you have health insurance.

I had to have to have steriods after my operation. I believe my previous levels of fitness saved me from being on them too long.

Best of luck on whatever you decide :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:43 pm 

Just wondering whether you had come to a decision? Hope things are going well :).

Post subject: NSAIDs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:30 am 

Look up NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). I think you'll find iburophen is one. I also recall reading some time ago that Cox-II inhibitors are also helpful (such as Celebrex).

Both are readily available anti-inflammatory drugs. You could try them and see if they help.

Post subject: NSAIDs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 am 

My oncologist thought that I should focus on surviving the tumor - not on the long term affects of steroids - so I willl stay with the steroids until I get a report that the growth has stopped...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 pm 

Natural treatment is the best way all the time, because of low side
effect on the human body, and work according to the nature.

Post subject: boswellia serata
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:16 am 

Hi -
I have just started tusing boswellia serata (an indian plant) extract to treat edema. I am not sure about the dosage though. So far, 450mg every 6 hours seems to help, But I am not sure if it is as effective as the Medrol (steroid) that I have been using. Using it has allowed me to reduce the steroid use... suggestions always welcome! - Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:00 pm 

Quote:
My oncologist thought that I should focus on surviving the tumor - not on the long term affects of steroids - so I willl stay with the steroids until I get a report that the growth has stopped...

The advice your oncologist has given you is entirely logical. It make sense it to address the most urgent and dangerous threat first.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 pm 

I have now reduced my use of Medrol from 24mg per day to 2mg per day, and I expect to reduce to 0 next week. I have reduced the Medrol about 25-50% every 2-3 weeks, and reduced the medrol dose size so that it was spread over the day as much as possible. I am still taking the boswellia 450mg every 6 hours. I plan to try and reduce the boswellia now.
I feel much better iwthout the Medrol. I think the reduced medrol has improved my sex-drive, which is a nice change!
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am 

Way to go! Drugs are nasty, I know, but they do stuff.