Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:38 pm 

I like to think of myself as a positive person. I expect the best, but still have plan B should things not go my way. I mention this because, unfortunately there are people selling cancer cures on the internet that have no merit. I am not concerned about their motives, pure or otherwise, it is the results that concern me.

I am posting a link that has some sobering stories - http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Victims/victims.html. It doesn't take too long to realise there is a lot at stake and you or your loved ones can lose everything.

A popular and apparently persuasive argument on many sites can be summarised - "what have you got to lose and it may cure cancer?". I have seen this proudly displayed on many websites and if you read at least one of the articles above you realise that this argument should not be as persuasive. You won't have anything to lose by drinking more water, but no one is claiming yet that they can cure cancer with water :).

Another popular argument is that pharmaceutical companies are all bad and don't want you to have the magic potion sold on the website. It's true that not all pharmaceutical companies are good, but many have compassionate programs and most run trials that save lives; more than all the magic potions in the world (ok maybe I am sceptical about magic ;).

So before you decide to try that "sure fire money back guarantee" cancer cure, try taking a dose of scepticism; one of the most powerful potions ever invented. Most of the evidence are online testimonials - are they verifiable or even repeatable? Am I just a guinea pig? Could this toxic substance actually cause more harm than good?

Unfortunately, at a time when people are spending more money on supplements and diets than ever, cancer rates and obesity are worse than ever before. Now I take supplements to promote good brain function, but I don't take them to cure cancer and there is a difference. There are those who are totally against supplements and I am not one of those people. I am against false cancer cures.

So how do you tell which ones are genuine? One common denominator is that if it sounds to good to be true... The medical profession is not trying to hide cancer cures, even if some have lost faith because they have not found a cure (there's a non-secateur in there somewhere). There is no medical cure for cancer. There is no supplement that has been shown to cure cancer. We know of no better way than science to prove whether it does or not.

There is another precaution you can take - sleep on it. Cancer is an emotional diagnosis. It is easy for our decisions to be ruled by fear. "But I just felt it was the right decision." Its funny how selective memory is. People marketing these miracle potions know that they have a selectively responsive audience. Perhaps if you sleep on, or better yet do further research and select from a range of options, you will have a better chance of being right. And essentially that is what it is about, selecting the rights options (how do I give myself the best chance of being right?).

When medicine says that you have no options left that is when it really becomes an interesting test of faith. I believe there are always options, even if we can't always control the course of events.

As I said at the start I consider myself an opimistic person. When I have tough times ahead I have faith that there will be options, I am hoping that at least one of these will have a scientific basis. While of sound mind I will not put my faith in magic potions or miracle cures. My hope is that other cancer patients will have the courage to do the same.

Best wishes!