Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Vitamin D3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 pm 

After doing some research I decided to buy some D3. Now we all know about vitamin D and bone health. Indeed, a sore tooth I was tentatively planning to get looked at has gotten better over the last week I been taking D3. Could be coincidence, but D3 could have helped.

If you have a few minutes, you will be interested I'm sure in this summary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Role_in_cancer_prevention_and_recovery. Now go back and read more of the article; or bookmark it for later.

Cardio benefits, cancer prevention/ recovery, bone density & more. All this and we are rightfully being warned of the dangers of too much sun exposure. This message has been so effective that most of us have too little D3; although we get D2 from plant food.

As if this wasn't enough, there has been one unexpected side effect - I feel happier :). I have heard before about those winter blues. In this research I learned that heart attacks are more common in winter. Now that I have been happier for a week I have decided that it isn't a placebo effect; although I don't have before and after blood tests.

A note of caution, try to be methodical in your approach to supplements and introduce only one new one at a time. Much better than suddenly taking many and not knowing which are working. Many supplements can also become expensive so this approach can also save money. After two years with a BT I am still single digits for supplements (ie <10).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:10 pm 

Still feeling happier on average. However, I am 1 and 1 in the teeth department. The sore tooth is no longer sore, but another tooth broke so I will be off to the dentist soon. To be fair I have never had good teeth.

I find that vitamin B is important for work for stress. I have a tendency not to trust others since returning to work. Fortunately, this is usually counter balanced by the experience of being a developer and realising that the first step to making progress when an error arises is to assume that I have made a mistake :).

My 3 monthly MRI is next week. Seeing as I am having no treatment, just anti-convulsant, it would be a surpise if my tumor has reduced. This MRI may help with planning for my next (preventative) operation.

I am ordering beta-carotene to boost my vitamin A. I am doing so to boost immunity, antioxidants and skin health. I surprised myself as up until now I have been ordering supplements as opposed to vitamins.

Post subject: MRI
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:28 pm 

Hi Ken,
Good luck with your MRI, I too have one on the 12th we will keep our pinkies crossed!
Stacy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:02 pm 

Sometimes reminds me of waiting for the cane at school ;). I went to one of those medieval variety schools.

As I have said before, the MRI I don't mind at all - like electronic music. Nearly nodded off once. At least its a painless pocedure.

One cause for celebration is that I have put on 10kg since October. Not something most people would celebrate, but helps with my goals for the end of the year. As long as I can put on more muscle and my tumour not grow, I see that as a cause celebration :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:43 pm 

Parsed back on the vitamins, just taking the basic ones.

Seeing the neuro-oncologist about neoadjuvant chemo next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 pm 

Vitamins D3 is very important for our health,
i think sunlight is the best source of getting much vitamin D3
and you could also get green leaf vegetables and raw milk.
Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:37 pm 

If you are low on Vitamin D and you are getting lots of sun it sounds like another vitamin or mineral deficiency - our bodies are very complicated and a deficiency in one thing results in others not being absorbed... try a muti-vitamin rather than just Vitamin D assuming you aren't on any other meds - if you are talk to your doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:32 am 

Still confident about the use of D3, especially where deficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:27 am 

Sunshine remains the best source

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:44 am 

Sunshine supplies up to 20,000IU naturally per day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:50 am 

The great outdoors - enjoy it!

Post subject: Re: Vitamin D3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:57 pm 

You can get too much.

You get 20,000IU from the Sun in about 15 mins with more than 40% of your skin exposed :).