Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:26 pm 

Uche Ogbodo Allegedly Dumps Husband Because He's Got Brain Tumour!

Rumours are beginning to fly around as to why Nollywood actress, Uche Obodo left her husband, ex-footballer, Atoh Ubby.

According to online blog, Pulse, Uche dumped her husband after he got diagnosed with brain tumour.

According to the site, friends of the footballer are allegedly said to be speaking up, saying that the heavily pregnant actress couldn't cope bear having to spend her money on him anymore since her husband is already cash low.

The actress had claimed she walked away from the marriage because her husband lied to him and that she was never married to him, Ato but, his father, a pastor and a veteran journalist, had come out to debunk that claim, saying that his family had actually paid her bride price, automatically making her his son's wife.

A close friend of Ato has also come out with another angle to the story by saying that he and other friends had warned Ato about Uche being a gold digger and that she would dump him anytime things turn bad for him, but that Atoh was madly in love with her and would not listen to any of his friends.

He has seen the other side of a woman we all warned him about. Ato would not listen to us when we told him Uche Ogbodo is a gold digger who would not hesitate to dump him anytime things do not go well with him financially.

Uche did just as we predicted because when Ato had that brain surgery to remove the tumor, he had spent so much money and when he needed more money and it was required of his wife to take care of some bills, she promptly dumped him, claiming they were never married and that he lied to her.

What lies is she talking about? Why can't she come out with the lies and let the whole world know?

I repeat that Uche is a gold digger who only accepted Ato because she thought he had a never ending well of money.

Ato made the biggest relationship mistake of his life by falling in love with a Nollywood actress with a long history of gold digging.

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/uc ... ain-tumour

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:40 pm 

'I thought I was going to be dead': Young champion high jumper and model makes a remarkable recovery after discovering she had a baseball-sized brain tumour

On her 19th birthday, Amy Pejkovic received the earth-shattering news that she had a tumour on her brain stem.

Now 21, the champion high jumper and model has made a remarkable recovery, and she is training hard for the Rio De Janeiro Olympics in 2016 after fighting her way back to the number two ranking in Australia.

In February 2012 Miss Pejkovic, from Turramurra on Sydney's North Shore, was gearing up for the London Olympics, but her preparations were complicated by the fact she was suffering excruciating headaches, dizziness and was vomiting every day.

Despite multiple doctors diagnosing her with a middle ear infection her mother and coach Leanne Pejkovic's instincts told her it was something else.

After feeling sick during her 19th birthday party she was taken to hospital and where she described her symptoms to a nurse who sent her for an MRI straight away.

It was then that he found out she had a baseball-sized brain tumour.

'I was quite scared… Extremely frightened,' Miss Pejkovic told Daily Mail Australia.

'I never thought that something like that would ever happen to me and when it did the first thing I thought was "Am I going to die?"

'I thought I was potentially going to be dead in the next few weeks.'

The position of the tumour meant it was blocking fluid from her brain so she had to be admitted to the intensive care unit, and doctors did not know whether the tumour was benign or malignant.

After the operation to remove the tumour from the back of her head Miss Pejkovic received her first piece of good news – the operation had gone smoothly and the tumour was benign.

But the illness had taken its toll – her weight and muscle mass had dropped dramatically and she was too weak to even sit up in bed.

'I lost 10kg in two weeks, I was just skin and bone, it was horrible,' she said.

'Day by day I'd start to sit up until I felt sick and then I'd just lie back down.

'The physio would come in and try to get me to swing my legs off the bed.'

Miss Pejkovic had to get the strength to walk again with the help of a walking frame.

She had intended to start university that year but put those plans on hold so she could rest and get her strength back.

'I kind of just let myself rest and go on walks and go to training sometimes, but training would consist of walking around the oval once,' she said.

'I started jogging then slowly started doing the drills everyone else was doing.'

At the same time she also did a number of modelling jobs.

'Every time they'd go to do my hair they pull it up and go wait, hold up, why is there a massive strip missing?' Miss Pejkovic said.

'I loved looking at the reactions on their faces when they saw the massive bald patch on my head.'

After being back at athletics training for months she felt like she would never be able to get back to her previous standard.

That is, until January this year, when she equalled her personal best jump of 186cm at a competition Canberra.

'It took a while for me to realise I was back in it… I think it kind of really hit me in Canberra,' she said.

'It was amazing. I started crying actually.'

But Miss Pejkovic realised she was definitely back in the game in February, when she beat that record and jumped 187cm at the Queensland State Championships.

'That was the first time I've jumped a personal best in four years,' she said.

'That was quite exciting.'

At the same time her modelling career has been taking off, with Miss Pejkovic walking in three shows at Fashion Week in Sydney this year including Talulah and Bec and Bridge.

She also has a 'big' campaign for a major sportswear label coming out in October, which she is unable to talk about in detail.

Miss Pejkovic is not sure whether she enjoys athletics or modelling more and for now she wants to pursue them both.

'I just sort of balance both of them because they go hand in hand. Even though there are not many models that are also elite athletes,' she said.

'A lot of clients find it quite interesting… They like the fact there's a story behind it.'

She is also doing a university bridging course and is hoping to start studying a journalism degree next year.

Miss Pejkovic said finding out she had a tumour and making her recovery has completely changed the way she looks at life.

'Before I would take things for granted and I was quite lazy, even though I was training I was lazy about a few things, but now I'm so driven,' she said.

'I definitely don't take anything for granted anymore, I just try and appreciate absolutely everything.

'I know it sounds cliché but it's true that life is short and you do only live once so you've got to focus on what you want and chase your dreams.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... umour.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:39 pm 

Scientists find key piece in brain tumour puzzle

Scientists at the Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, McGill University and McGill University Health Centre have shown that a member of the protein family known as SUMO (small ubiquitin-like modifier) is a key to why tumour cells multiply uncontrollably, especially in the case of glioblastoma. The SUMO family proteins modify other proteins and the SUMOylation of proteins are critical for many cellular processes. Identifying SUMO’s role in the cancer cell growth will lead to a new strategy for glioblastoma treatment.

Glioblastoma is the most common and lethal brain cancer. Current standard treatments include surgical resection, adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Despite the treatments, patients’ survive about a year and half. The cancer continues growing in part due to the presence of the cancer stem cells. It is critical to understand cancer growing pathways in the stem cells for development of stem cells targeted therapies.

The molecular mechanisms that control cancer growth through cell cycle progression, involve a whole host of proteins and many aspects of this complex process are still unknown. One group of proteins termed cyclin-dependent kinases (CDKs) drive the cell cycle; yet, it is unclear why the cancer cells maintain a large amount of CDK proteins.

“In investigation of the cell cycle of human glioblastoma, we uncovered that CDK6 is modified by SUMO1. CDK6 sumoylation inhibits its degradation and thus stabilizes CDK6 protein in the cancer,” says Dr. Anita Bellail, a researcher at the Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, McGill University and McGill University Health Centre, and lead author on the paper published in Nature Communications. Co-authors on the paper include Jeffrey J. Olson of the Department of Neurosurgery at Emory University and Chunhai “Charlie” Hao, Department of Pathology, Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital at McGill University and McGill University Health Centre.

“We found that CDK6 sumoylation is required for the renewal and growth of the cancer stem cells in glioblastoma. Inhibition of SUMO1 eliminates the stem cells and suppresses the cancer progression,” says Dr. Bellail.

Their finding adds concrete evidence to recent studies examining sumoylation pathways in human cancer development and progression. With the new understanding of how SUMO affects the cell cycle in cancer stem cells, this group of scientists are currently screening for SUMO1 targeted new drugs for the treatment of human glioblastoma.

http://publications.mcgill.ca/reporter/ ... ur-puzzle/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:16 pm 

Startling cancer statistics released in report by Brain Tumour Research

One in 50 people who die under the age of 60 die of a brain tumour according to a report by a local charity.

Padbury-based Brain Tumour Research presented their report to MP David Willetts, Minister of State for Universities and Science at the House of Commons earlier this month.

The report is an update to the National Research Funding report issued by the charity in July last year.

It presents new facts about the impact of the disease – one in 50 people who die under the age of 60 years are dying from brain cancer and 71 per cent of those who die of a brain tumour will be under 75 years old, compared to 47 per cent for all cancers.

The report calls for more research funding into brain tumours. According to Brain Tumour Research only one per cent of national cancer research spending looks into brain tumours compared to 55 per cent spent on researching cancer of the breast, leukaemia, bowel and prostate.

Accompanying representatives from Brain Tumour Research was Figen Rawlinson, of Calvert Green-based group Taylan’s Project, whose son passed away from a brain tumour in 2009, aged seven.

She said: “Taylan’s diagnosis and untimely loss of life was a tragedy and the woeful underfunding for research makes it a tragedy on top of a tragedy.

“Knowing that each year, 16,000 people face hearing the devastating news they have been diagnosed with a brain tumour and that just 18.8 per cent of those diagnosed will survive beyond five years, compared with an average of 50 per cent across other cancers, is a bitter pill for families in this situation to swallow.

“We desperately need to massively increase the funding available for research into this cruel disease if we are to ultimately find a cure.”

Sue Farrington Smith, chief executive of Brain Tumour Research, said: “We know funding into brain tumours needs to increase to around £30 million to £35 million a year over a 10-year time frame. At the current rate of spend, it could take 100 years to find a cure.

“We are also calling on the Government to introduce a national register of site-specific cancer research to track all research grants and research work, ensuring transparency of funding arrangements. This will allow shortcomings to be identified and prevent duplication of work.”

http://www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/news/m ... -1-6163810

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:31 pm 

New tool 'could help enhance brain cancer treatment'

A successful trial has been carried out on a new tool that could revolutionise treatment for brain cancer patients.

Researchers at Purdue University and Brigham and Women's Hospital in the US have created a mass spectrometry device that sprays a microscopic stream of charged solvent on to the surface of tissue in the brain while it is exposed by surgeons.

This produces a colour-coded image that not only reveals the location, nature and concentration of tumour cells, but can also detect tumour residues that have been left behind in the patient following surgery.

At present, treatment relies on the surgeon looking at the tumour, but it can be difficult to differentiate its boundaries from healthy brain tissue.

Writing in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, study co-author Graham Cooks said: "The instrumentation is relatively small and inexpensive and could easily be installed in operating rooms to aid neurosurgeons. This study shows the tremendous potential it has to enhance patient care."

Malignant brain tumours can easily spread into the normal brain tissue that surrounds them and cause pressure and damage, so this new technique could prove vital in removing them.

http://www.spirehealthcare.com/patient- ... reatment-/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:36 pm 

Cancer cells may guide treatment

A Boston-based team published proof Thursday that one of the most alluring ideas in cancer care can work: Exceedingly rare tumor cells can be filtered from a patient’s blood sample and used to noninvasively monitor the evolution of cancer and identify the most promising treatments.

The scientists drew blood from women with one type of breast cancer, isolated the rare cancer cells, and then experimented with those cells in a laboratory dish to find drugs that might effectively halt the spreading cancer.

The work demonstrates a powerful way to track and personalize cancer treatment with a simple blood draw. The technique, described in the journal Science, could enable doctors to frequently check for genetic changes that allow tumors to develop resistance to medications and to fine-tune therapy.

“Tumors change, and from the time that a woman is diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer that needs to be treated to the time that multiple treatments have worked and stop working, the tumors have evolved,” said Dr. Daniel Haber, director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and oversaw the study. The new technique would allow “real time monitoring’’ of these changes without having to perform invasive biopsies, he said.

The next steps are to improve the technique, which worked in only a fraction of the patients tried, and to test whether giving patients personalized drug regimens identified with the method will halt their tumors’ growth and prolong their lives. Independent researchers said the technique would need to be made more efficient, reliable, and faster before it could be widely used. It also remains to be seen how difficult it will be to grow cells for other types of cancer.

Circulating tumor cells, which are thought to be responsible for seeding cancer’s spread beyond the initial tumor, were discovered 150 years ago. Thus far, they have mainly been used to predict whether a cancer was likely to get worse or not.

Early efforts to use that information to change treatment have had disappointing results. A paper published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology last month reported that breast cancer patients who were tested for circulating tumor cells and then switched to a different chemotherapy when there were signs their current therapy was not working did not survive longer or had slowed tumor growth compared with patients who remained on the regular treatment.

That work was co-authored by Dr. Daniel Hayes, clinical director of the breast oncology program at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, who said he was “very jealous” of the team behind the new study.

“Dr. Haber has beaten us to the punch — and that is can you grow these cells in culture and use them as an indicator for that patient, whether she’s going to respond to a certain therapy or not. They didn’t prove that by any means, but that’s the promise of this paper,” Hayes said.

Researchers at Mass. General partnered with Johnson & Johnson on the research to develop the chip used to filter out and isolate the circulating tumor cells, called the CTC-iChip.

Improvements in the chip contributed to the success of the new experiment. An earlier generation of the technology filtered out circulating tumor cells, but had limitations. It could nab only certain cancer cells, and it was difficult to remove the cells from the filtration device and get them to grow in a dish.

The new technology is a kind of miniature racing circuit for blood; It is the size of a microscope slide, with tiny channels carved into it. Cells are sorted first by size, eliminating the small red blood cells. Then, researchers add a magnetic coating that homes to white blood cells and use magnets to select out the tumor cells needed for testing. These cells could then be used to grow tumors in mice and lab dishes,

By taking repeated samples from women, the researchers were able to measure the emergence of new mutations that were not present in the initial tumor, and may signal the need to change treatment. They tested the effectiveness of various drugs by seeing whether they could inhibit the growth of tumor cells in the dishes and the mice, suggesting the technique could provide a way to personalize a drug regimen to an individual’s cancer.

The process, however, is far from efficient — a challenge that researchers are now focused on improving. In the study, only six out of 36 samples with a particular type of breast cancer could be successfully grown in a dish.

“Scientifically, it is an important paper,” said Dr. Massimo Cristofanilli, deputy director of translational research at Thomas Jefferson University’s Kimmel Cancer Center, who was not involved in the study. “It’s exciting to see we can use circulating tumor cells for a variety of analyses; we can even culture these cells — we can certainly understand the biology of these cells.” But he added that the applicability to patient care was not clear because the process of growing the tumor cells was successful in only some of the cases, took months, and would probably be expensive.

Zena Werb, a professor of anatomy at the University of California, San Francisco, who was not involved in the work, said that the researchers’ success in getting cells to grow in a dish and to create tumors in mice is surprising and exciting, if it can be repeated.

“That means it’s possible to try to do some personalized medicine, in terms of the mutations that these individuals had, to see if there are specific treatments” that might work better, Werb said.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/science ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:00 pm 

Molecular imbalance linked to brain tumour seizures

Researchers in France may have discovered why some patients with a type of brain tumour have epileptic seizures.

Their study, published in Science Translational Medicine, suggests that seizures in patients with glioma may be linked to an imbalance of chloride – which is involved in nerve activity – in certain brain cells.

Whether a patient has seizures is linked to how aggressive their tumour is – with less aggressive cases being more prone to epilepsy as tumour cells slowly progress and alter brain tissue.

It is hoped that further research could explore treatments for glioma-linked epilepsy by controlling chloride levels in the brain.

Glioma develops from specialised brain cells known as 'glial cells' that usually help to keep brain nerve cells in place, providing support and protection to ensure correct brain function.

In the latest study, scientists from Sorbonne University studied brain tissue samples from 47 glioma patients and found that nerve tissue infiltrated by glioma cells behaves in similar ways to other forms of epilepsy.

Looking at the patient samples, the team found that a particular type of nerve cell – called a pyramidal cell – released excessive amounts of chloride from inside the cells when exposed to a molecule called GABA, which is also involved in transmitting nerve signals.

GABA was released by other neighbouring nerve cells called 'interneurons'. And the researchers believe that the release of chloride through specialised molecular channels in the membrane of nerve cells, may be responsible for the seizures experienced in some glioma patients.

Dr Robin Grant, an expert in epilepsy and glioma from the Edinburgh Cancer Research UK Centre, who was not involved in the research, said that the channels may make good drug targets for further investigation, but a finer understanding of the involvement of other processes is still needed.

"This small study is interesting and shows that glioma-linked epilepsy, as with other types of epilepsy, may be connected to certain channels found in the membranes of nerve cells.

"More research will be needed to understand the finer details of this process in glioma and whether these channels, along with other similar channels found in nerve cells, could be good targets for drugs to help control the condition."

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-07-m ... umour.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:20 pm 

Grandfather has brain tumour pulled out through his NOSE, saving his sight

A grandfather diagnosed with a tumour in his brain had the 5cm growth removed through his nose.

Nigel Tinsley first noticed something was wrong when his eyesight began to fail.

The 69-year-old visited his optician within a week of discovering the problem - but was told there was nothing wrong.

It was only after he was referred to hospital that tests revealed he had a tumour on the pituitary gland in his brain.

This was pressing on his optic nerves, causing him to slowly lose his sight.

To his surprise, doctors said they would remove the growth by sucking it out through his nose.

The grandfather-of-five has now made a full recovery after the operation at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham last September.

Mr Tinsley, who lives with his wife Jenny in Tettenhall, in the West Midlands, said: 'My sight had got so bad that I lost my wife while shopping in Waitrose. I just couldn't see her at the end of the aisle.

'It came on really suddenly - I was practically blind and couldn't read a thing.

'I had gone from being able to read a car number plate from 25 yards - as you need to for the driving test - to not even being able to see the end of my garden.'

Left untreated for much longer, he would have gone blind, he says.

'My optician has always been very good but he couldn't find anything wrong with my eyes.'

But an MRI scan at New Cross Hospital revealed he had a pituitary tumour. This was pressing on the optic nerves, causing him to slowly lose his sight.

'Looking back, there had probably been other minor symptoms,' said Mr Tinsley. 'But I thought "I'm bound to get a little tired sometimes because I'm 69".'

The treatment, which uses an endoscope - a thin, flexible tube with a camera - meant he could return home within a week of the operation.

The neurosurgeon who carried out the operation, Alessandro Paluzzi, said tumours on the skull base were difficult to remove using conventional procedures.

He said: 'The operation is extremely invasive and requires a long stay in hospital with breathing and feeding tubes, and leaves visible scarring.

'It also carries a greater risk of brain damage.

'However, the endoscopic surgery allows the tumour to be removed via the nostrils without causing disfigurement or damage to the brain.'

The tumour is reached by working through one nostril and making a hole in the back of the nasal cavity into the bottom of the skull.

Through this hole, the surgeon can see the bottom of the pituitary gland and the tumour.

Cutting instruments, also mounted on flexible or telescopic arms, are used to remove the growth in pieces - leaving no scarring.

Mr Tinsley said: 'Although I initially felt groggy, I recovered quickly. By the end of the week I could read anything.

'I had my operation on the Saturday. It took eight hours, and I was pretty poorly for a couple of days.

'But on the Tuesday I woke up and looked out of the window, where I could see the clock tower at Birmingham University a quarter of a mile away. It was amazing.'

He is now fundraising to help the hospital's appeal to raise £250,000 for three brand new pieces of equipment, which will allow more patients to receive the same treatment he benefited from.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... sight.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 am 

Rod Franks, LSO trumpeter who overcame brain tumour, dies in car crash

Rod Franks, third trumpet of the London Symphony Orchestra and principal for more than two decades, died in a car crash on the A1 in Nottinghamshire on the evening of 20 July.

Franks, 58, was a passenger in the car and was taken to Nottingham Queen’s Medical Centre, where he was later pronounced dead. The driver, a friend, survived the crash. Two people travelling in another car were pronounced dead at the scene.

The LSO announced the news on 21 July, ‘with much sadness’, saying that Franks had been returning home after a day at the Open Championship at Royal Liverpool Golf Club.

‘Hugely respected and immensely popular with members of the orchestra, conductors and audience alike, Rod will be missed for his ever-welcoming friendliness and brilliant playing.

‘Having celebrated 25 years’ service last year, 23 of which as principal trumpet, Rod had recently requested to step down from his principal position but to continue playing with the orchestra. Rod had been beset by health issues for over ten years but would never allow them to compromise his supreme professionalism.’

Franks had a potentially career-ending operation to remove a brain tumour in 2002, after which he suffered from epilepsy, facial palsy and hearing loss. He told the Times in 2008: ‘It’s very far from normal and never will be. And I can’t always tell how loud I’m playing.’ He said that he had relied on his then co-principal, Maurice Murphy, “Who I can trust to tell me the absolute truth. And I have made him promise to tell me if the day comes I should give up”.’

Franks was also professor of trumpet at the Royal Academy of Music. Its principal, Jonathan Freeman-Attwood, wrote: ‘This is desperately sad news. Rod had become an important part of the Academy team of trumpet teachers over the years. I will remember his incisive understanding of what students needed, genuine warmth and of course his legendary and remarkable courage. And what a player.’

Born in West Yorkshire in 1956, Franks took up the cornet at the age of six, going on to play in the Hammonds, Brighouse and Rastrick and Black Dyke brass bands. He studied at the Royal Northern College of Music where his teachers included Maurice Murphy, with whom he would go on to serve as LSO joint principal for many years.

After graduation he was appointed principal trumpet of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra. He returned to the UK to become principal trumpet of the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble. He went on to be a founder member of the English Brass Ensemble and London Brass, and was also artistic director of the LSO’s brass ensemble.

The LSO described him as ‘passionate about the education of future generations of musicians’, noting his commitment to the orchestra’s education work and particularly to its brass academies, which involved intensive workshops with talented orchestral musicians aged 14 to 24.

http://www.classicalmusicmagazine.org/2 ... car-crash/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:27 am 

MidKent College principal Sue McLeod, 53, dies one month after she was diagnosed with a brain tumour

A much-loved college principal has died just a month after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Sue McLeod, the principal of MidKent College, passed away suddenly in Medway Hospital yesterday.

Ms McLeod, from Chatham, became the first female principal of MidKent College when she accepted the post last September.

Tributes have flooded in following the news of Ms McLeod's death.

Former president of the Students' Union, Matt Stanley, said that Ms McLeod was still attending meetings as recently as last week despite being on leave.

He said: "It is really shocking and devastating news. She was an incredibly caring and supportive woman who took an interest in every stage of students' development.

"Sue helped transform thousands of lives and will be impossible to replace. You couldn't meet her without thinking that she instantly cared about you."

MidKent College student and star of The Voice Joseph Apostol described the news as 'devastating.' He added: "I'm sending my condolences to Ms Mcleod's family, she was a very kind and upbeat person. She will truly be missed."

Steve Corbishley, West Division Commander for Kent Police, tweeted: "She was an excellent leader who will be missed by many."

Scottish born mum-of-one Ms McLeod graduated with a degrees in business and travel and tourism from Bournemouth University, formerly Dorset Institute of Higher Education.

College chief executive Stephen Grix said: “Sue was an exceptional leader who inspired students and staff alike.

"Her energy, enthusiasm and ability to motivate others will be sorely missed. We have lost a very dear friend and a great principal.”

Member of Parliament for Gillingam and Rainham, Rehman Chishti MP said:

“It was a real privilege to work with Sue who was so passionate about education and ensuring her students got the right support and resources so they could achieve their true potential in life.

“She was a great educational leader who will be missed by everyone who knew her.”

A former travel and tourism lecturer, Ms McLeod worked in the United States, Europe and the Caribbean.

Sue McLeod was appointed as principal of the College last September

Ms McLeod joined the college in 1993, climbing the ranks to become the first female principal in its 100-year history.

Last February she visited Buckingham Palace to accept the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Further and Higher Education from the Queen on behalf of the college.

Ms McLeod had been undergoing treatment at King's College Hospital in London and had not returned to work after being diagnosed, with Vice principal Simon Cook appointed acting principal by the College's governing authority in her absence.

A college spokesman said the college was in shock and it was unlikely that a decision would be made on a permanent appointment before students return on Monday, September 8, until that point Mr Cook will remain as acting principal for six months.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/n ... ies-20717/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 pm 

"I healed my own brain tumour - it wasn't witchcraft" former BBC producer opens up ahead of talk at Cheltenham's Isbourne Holistic Centre

At 49, Anna Parkinson was in the prime of her life. She’d carved out a successful career as a BBC radio producer and was working on a book about her family history.

Then the call came from the doctor and everything began to cave in around her.

She found out she had a brain tumour the size of a two-pence piece.

“I got this call from the hospital over an ongoing problem that I’d had and I had to go see a neurologist,” she says.

“My husband and I walked in to see him and he said ‘you’ve got a brain tumour, it’s going to have to come out’.

“So I said how? and he said ‘well we just cut open your face next to your nose and then after a while it heals up’ or else they could take the top of your skull off and then they just lift your brain inside and go in that way. I’ll be in touch.”

It was 2002 and a series of sudden headaches soon became a cause for concern.

“They were so intense,” Anna says. “It was like having the back of your neck chopped with a chopper.

“I’d crawl around vomiting water and they’d take me into hospital.

“They couldn’t find anything at first and after four days when I could finally move they said perhaps it was a migraine.”

It was something far more sinister.

“I was having a good time, I’d just started to write a book and it was going really well,” she says.

“The news was kind of shattering.

“I just picked myself up off the floor and started furiously researching.

“It was about two months before I got to see a neurosurgeon.

“It was very deep in my head. The tumour was growing with one branch of my carotid artery wrapped around it.

“There are so many nerves that go through that area that he said he didn’t want to touch it.”

“He said it was best to leave it and wait and see.”

Anna began exploring alternative forms of treatment.

“It was a long process and I went back to the hospital every couple of months to have a look and meanwhile I was completely cross-eyed and I’d have these fierce, intense headaches that would lay me out for days.

“I tried acupuncture and herbal remedies, anything that people suggested really.”

As part of the process she soon discovered healing.

“At the time I didn’t know anything about it,” she says.

“I could tell something was happening and that intrigued me.

“At the time I was determined to finish my book – if I was going to go blind or die I was sure I was going to finish this book.”

Eventually, she met a healer called Martin Brofman.

“He did a report on what he had found in my energy if you like,” she says.

“It was the report that just turned the lights on for me.

“He said the tumour is actually an expression of the tension in the relationship between your father.

“All of this stuff I recognised. I realised that the whole story about falling in love with this book and writing about this ancestor on my father’s side was an attempt to piece together the connection that had gone when he died as I didn’t really have enough communication with him.

“The tumour and his work was the same thing.”

Anna began to “listen to her body” and using positive thinking the tumour disappeared over a two yea period.

“I don’t have the tumour or the headaches, my eyes are straight and I’m perfectly healthy,” she says. “It’s all history.

“I thank my lucky stars that I didn’t have any surgery because although surgery is very clever it’s not as clever as your body is.

“Not only did healing save my life but it showed me how to live my life.

“I thought I was going to go blind or die for a long time. I was really scared.”

Now a full-time massage therapist and healer, Anna hopes healing will be given the recognition it deserves.

“What I’d love to see sometime before I die is for a GP to say to somebody who needs surgery to drop in and see a healer and see if it can get rid of the symptoms.”

Next month Anna turns 60 and is planning a party to celebrate the occasion with her family and friends.

“My family are now accepting,” she says. “At first my husband said it was 16th century witchcraft.

“Everybody I know is trying to avoid the fact that they’re 60 but I’m just glad I’ve made it.”

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/he ... story.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:19 am 

Dads' exposure to solvents linked to childhood brain tumours

Brain tumours in children could have as much to do with the father's occupational exposure to solvents as they have to do with the mother's, a new Australian study has found.

The study, published in the British Journal of Cancer, has found a link between parents' exposure to chemicals such as benzene, toluene, and trichloroethylene and brain tumours in their children.

Lead author Dr Susan Peters, occupational epidemiologist at the University of Western Australia, says while brain tumours are relatively rare they are a major cause of cancer death among children, and the causes are largely unknown.

"Because most of the cases occur before age five, the question is what are the risk factors because there are some genetic syndromes that are known to cause brain tumours but only in less than five per cent of cases," says Peters.

"The children are pretty young, [so] it could be that some of the parental exposures before or during pregnancy may be a cause."

The new study surveyed nearly 306 cases of parents of children up to 14 years old with brain tumours, which were diagnosed between 2005 - 2010 in Australia.

The researchers compared the parents' occupational exposures to solvents with those of 950 parents whose children did not have brain tumours.

The findings suggest that fathers working in jobs where they are regularly exposed to benzene in the year before their child is conceived are more than twice as likely to have that child develop a brain tumour.

Women working in occupations that expose them to a class of compounds called chlorinated solvents -- found in degreasers, cleaning solutions, paint thinners, pesticides and resins -- at any time in their lives also have a much higher risk of their child developing a brain tumour.

Building on previous studies
While brain tumours in children are relatively rare, previous studies have suggested a link between parental occupation and childhood brain tumours, finding parents working in industries such as the chemical and petroleum industries, car-related jobs, and jobs with regular exposure to paint, have a higher risk of their children developing brain tumours.

Peters says a previous study in rats also found that toluene -- found in petrol, paints, and inks -- had an effect on sperm cells, which points to a possible explanation for the link in humans.

Commenting on the study, Emeritus Professor Michael R. Moore, vice president of the Australasian College of Toxicology and Risk Assessment, says the data shows paternal exposure was a key issue.

"This is the children being directly affected by the father and the father's exposure is taking place prior to the children being conceived," says Moore.

"Parents who are thinking of having children should be thinking about not just what's happening with the mums but also with the dads."

Peters stressed that the study only involved relatively small numbers of cases, and it was still too early to say whether solvent exposure was the cause of childhood brain tumours.

However she said these solvents were associated with a range of other effects so exposure should be kept as low as possible anyway.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... 045670.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:57 pm 

Why brain tumours are more common in men

The absence of a protein known to reduce cancer risk can explain why brain tumours occur more often in males and are more harmful than similar tumours in females.

Researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis found that retinoblastoma protein (RB) - a protein known to reduce cancer risk - is significantly less active in male brain cells than in female brain cells.

Glioblastomas, the most common malignant brain tumours, are diagnosed twice as often in males who suffer greater cognitive impairments than females and do not survive as long.

"These results suggest we need to look at multiple pathways linked to cancer, checking for sex differences. Sex-based distinctions at the level of the cell may not only influence cancer risk but also the effectiveness of treatments," explained senior study author Joshua Rubin.

Scientists have identified many sex-linked diseases that either occur at different rates in males and females or cause different symptoms based on sex.

However, Rubin and his colleagues knew that sex hormones could not account for the differences in brain tumour risk.

In lab experiments, the team evaluated three genes to see if they were naturally less active in male brain cells.

The scientists found RB was more likely to be inactivated in male brain cells than in female brain cells.

When they disabled the RB protein in female brain cells, the cells were equally susceptible to becoming cancers.

The protein RB is the target of drugs now being evaluated in clinical trials.

"At the very least, we should think about analysing data for males and females separately in clinical trials," Rubin stressed.

The study appeared in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 739_1.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:10 am 

How being diagnosed with a brain tumour became a 'blessing' for Cambridgeshire author Will Pye

It was a cold January day in 2011 when Will Pye first realised something was wrong.

Out for a routine run, the successful businessman for Steeple Morden felt his arm spontaneously begin to spasm.

Two months and one major seizure later, the then 31-year-old found himself given the usually devastating news he had a golf ball-sized tumour growing in his brain.

But for Will, this was not devastating, but the beginning of something beautiful.

He said: “It’s hard to explain, but there was no fear or anguish when I was given the news.

“I just had this feeling of calm and sense of ‘this is where my journey will take me.’”

In a strange coincidence, at the time of his diagnosis, Will was developing an interest in mindfulness and the role of psychology in spiritual healing.

The tumour suddenly seemed a timely opportunity to put this interest into practise.

He said: “The medical advice was to have surgery, but I was also told this was best avoided if at all possible.

“When it was clear the tumour was not morphing or growing, I decided not to have it and to try change my way of living.”

For the next two years, Will embarked on a spiritual journey that would dramatically change his perspective on life.

Delegating the running of his stressful fundraising business to his team leader, Will then began focusing on the things he loved most, writing, travelling, public speaking and spending time with his parents and sister.

He said: “I embraced the possibility that I was going to die in the next few months or years.

“And that freed me from all the stresses of life and running my business.

“I was then able to give great priority to having fun and enjoying being alive.”

He added: “I practised a lot of meditation and yoga.

“I did briefly change my diet to raw vegan, but I found that it was the psychological aspects that would help me through rather than the physical.”

But, all this was to shatter eight months later when a brain scan revealed the tumour had started to move.

Will said: “I thought it would be a simple case of having surgery to remove it

“But, after having an operation, it was shown to be Stage 3 cancer.

“This time, again there was inexplicably no fear.

“I was disappointed more than anything.

“I had assumed I could get back to living a full life and knowing I now had to have radiotherapy meant I had to go back and live with my parents, which supportive as they were, it’s not generally part of a 34-year-old’s plan.

“But, once that feeling passed I felt peace and joy and a sense that everything was going to be OK.”

Months of gruelling radiotherapy sessions followed, and once more Will was determined to stay positive and continue to enjoy life as much as possible.

Luckily, in March this year, the most recent scan showed no further growth of the tumour and he was given an average life-expectancy of 10 or 15 years.

He said: “It’s as good as it can be, but I’m confident I will be able to succeed beyond the average – I’m thinking decades.”

Now, four months after getting the all-clear, Will is getting ready to embark on another public speaking tour of the United States.

This time though, he will be promoting his book Blessed with a Brain Tumor which documents his spiritual awakening following the diagnosis.

He said: “The book is not just for people who have been ill, but for all of us.

“We have this one precious life and it’s about what do we want to do with it.”

He added: “We are all faced with a life not set up to support human happiness, and being human can be a struggle.

“We all know we are going to die, but we do tend to put it to one side.

“Believing I was going to die soon gave me a sense of immediacy and urgency.

“I now realise how precious being alive is and feel I can give all I can and that I have done some good.”

For more information about Blessed with a Brain Tumor, visit http://www.blessedwithabraintumour.com or http://www.willpye.com.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Royston ... 060008.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 am 

Novelist dies from a brain tumour a year after debut published

A young writer whose debut novel had cancer as a theme has died from the disease at the age of 32.

Patrick Finlay had recovered from a major operation last year to remove a brain tumour.

Having been well enough to return to work earlier this year for several months, his health later deteriorated, and he died on Monday.

The Co Antrim man was a well-known and highly respected public relations professional whose novel To Seek Redemption was published under the name PD Finlay last year.

The book is described as "a suspense-packed thriller with surprising twists along the way and set against the backdrop of racism in the US in the 1960s. To Seek Redemption takes readers on an emotional, spiritual, romantic and at times violent journey".

Mr Finlay had previously spoken to the media of how during the five years he had been working on his novel, he had been diagnosed with a brain tumour in April 2013.

He had been experiencing bouts of nausea, dizziness, headaches and occasional lapses of memory.

Despite undergoing follow-up cancer treatment of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, doctors discovered that the tumour had grown back in the spring of this year.

Mr Finlay bravely vowed to beat the disease and underwent further treatment.

But he died at home in Kells, Co Antrim.

Mr Finlay had lived in Belfast for some time before returning to Kells with his wife Ashley.

An American, she moved to Northern Ireland when the couple married nearly two years ago.

He paid a loving tribute to his wife and family for their support during his illness in an interview he gave to Fame magazine last year.

He said: "I was very lucky to have such a support network including my aunts, uncles and wider family and friends.

"I cannot thank them all enough for everything they did. In particular, my wife Ashley.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 86571.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next