Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:39 am 

Olive Oil Compound Kills Cancer Cells Within an Hour

An ingredient in extra-virgin olive oil kills a variety of cancer cells in a matter of minutes, without damaging healthy ones. The ingredient is called oleocanthal, and it breaks down the “recycling center” of the cancerous cell, destroying it.

Olive oil has a myriad of health benefits – although a conclusive cause-effect study hasn’t been conducted yet, olive oil consumption is associated with lower risk of cardiovascular diseases, it can help fight the effects of aging, and replacing butter, sunflower or palm oil with olive oil is indicated when dealing with obesity and diabetes.

Oleocanthal is the compound responsible for the burning sensation that occurs in the back of the throat when consuming extra-virgin olive oil. Oleocanthal has been found to be have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and it shows potential in the treatment of inflammatory degenerative joint diseases. Researchers have known for a while that oleocanthal killed some cancer cells, but weren’t really sure how, and they didn’t know if it also harmed healthy cells in the process. Paul Breslin, professor of nutritional sciences in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, and David Foster and Onica LeGendre of Hunter College wanted to figure this out.

“We needed to determine if oleocanthal was targeting that protein and causing the cells to die,” says Paul Breslin, professor of nutritional sciences in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences at Rutgers and coauthor of a new study published in Molecular and Cellular Oncology.

After applying oleocanthal to cancer cells, they report that cancer cells were being killed off in 30-60 minutes – way faster and more efficient than researchers imagined. The compound punctured the cancerous cells’ vesicles – the cells “recycling centers”.

“Once you open one of those things, all hell breaks loose [for the cancer cells],” Breslin says.

What’s interesting is that this process doesn’t destroy healthy cells – it puts them to sleep for a while, but they quickly recover with no side effects.

However, it has to be said that this was only proven to work in lab cultures. Now, the next step for scientists is to test how oleocanthal works in living animals.

“We also need to understand why it is that cancerous cells are more sensitive to oleocanthal than non-cancerous cells.”

If this also works out as expected, then the team can start trying it on humans. It’s a long and difficult process which can drag out for years, but there are serious reasons to be optimistic.

http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/oliv ... -20022015/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:24 am 

Michelle Bridges shares healthy eating tips

Until you're in the right head space, you're going nowhere in your quest to lead a healthier life, The Biggest Loser trainer Michelle Bridges says.

What factors are taking away our ability to live a healthy life?

Our reliance on fast food, our reliance on convenience, our reliance on our excuses like, "I'm too busy, so I'm just going to let everybody else take care of my nutrition."

So it's not as simple as, "Eat less, move more?"

Well, there is a simplicity in that, but you're right, it's not. You can Google "good exercise concepts" and you can Google "good nutrition", but until you've worked out what's going on in your head and all the self-sabotage techniques and all the blame games and the victim mentalities, then you're going nowhere.

Why is food labelling so important?

Labelling is significantly important but we're up against some pretty big fast-food manufacturers and political agendas. It all comes down to money. Also, people need to be able to understand what that label says. So one part is labelling and one part is education.

Is being healthy simply a question of having sufficient will power?

Will power comes and goes. The best way to outmanoeuvre that is to build in habit and routine, because with habit and routine, you don't necessarily need to have will power.

How can very busy people fit exercise into their lives?

The best way is to get it done in the morning. Get the monkey off the back! You need to make the time; it isn't going to fall into your lap. If you've got routine and habit in your life, you're more likely to be a regular exerciser.

What has made you such a crusader for improving people's health?

I'm not 100 per cent sure on the answer to that question. I can say that I have been doing this since I was 14, when I convinced my school mistress to let me teach fitness classes to the kids who were pretending to do their homework in a classroom on a Wednesday afternoon while the rest of us were all playing sport. Because I get it – not everybody is into sport and not everybody's into competition; there's a lot of judgment around that – so I got my leotard and my leg warmers and my mixtapes and did it.

But the thing is, from about age eight – thanks to playing a lot of sport – I understood some pretty clear concepts: commitment, discipline, dedication, falling off the wagon and getting back on again. They're the kinds of ideologies you want to teach your kids to take with them into adult life.

Three in five Australians has a weight problem. Can we reverse this trend towards obesity?

I've been saying for a long time that it's going to get worse before it gets better. That said, I don't think we're too far away from turning it around. We can take our cues from the tobacco industry in so far as 50 years ago, people were smoking in offices. Today that would be ludicrous.

We didn't stop people from smoking, we just made it more difficult: we made them go outside, we made them go into the cold. That would be an interesting concept for taking on the fast-food manufacturers; for example, if no fast-food outlet had a car park or playground or a drive-though, that would be making them a little bit more uncomfortable [to visit].

Imagine if you said to someone, "You can eat whatever you want, but you have to make it from scratch at home." How often do you think people would eat french fries? Maybe once a week. How often do you think they'd eat pasta? Maybe once a week, because you've got to make it. That's the way our grandparents used to eat. It makes sense.

Tell us about your daily eating routine.

For breakfast in summer I'll have berries and yoghurt or a smoothie, and in winter I'll have porridge. If I'm in a rush, it will be a protein shake. Lunch is salad with protein, dinner is vegies with protein. It's exactly what you hear from everybody [in health and fitness]: vegies and protein and salad and protein.

Any treats?

Yeah, of course! On a Saturday I'll train for about two hours and eat lightly throughout the day, and at night I'll have whatever it is I want, no guilt attached. And I enjoy it. For me a cheat day doesn't mean eating fast food; it's going to a really cool restaurant and having all the trimmings.

What about your daily fitness routine?

I aim to train seven days a week, knowing that I'll probably stick to about five, and I train between 1-1 1/2 hours on those days.

And what do you do? Do you mix it up?

I do mix it up. I'll train outdoors, indoors, with a partner, with a friend. I'll even train with a trainer. I'll do trapeze, I'll surf, I'll go for a power walk on the beach, I'll go for a run. I'm not a purist - I can't stand purism. If someone wants to do pole dancing and they like that, go for it. There was one guy I knew who did sword-fight classes! It got him off the couch, so frankly I'm happy.

What do you do to cope with the busyness of life?

I make sure to block out times in my diary for my training. I make sure to block out times, even though I've got to fight for them, to just chill out and go on holiday. I try to go a full day on the weekend of not turning on my phone to look at emails or take calls. It sounds so 2015, but I think we all need to do that.

Your new book, Powerful Living, is all about us taking back control of our bodies through the power of our minds.

It is powerful when you can get to a place where you know you're back in control. And even when you feel like the wheels fall off occasionally – which they do for all of us, me included – you still have the power to go, "That's okay, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I know how to get back in control." There are lots of things going on to stop us from getting what we want, but the choices are still ours. We still have the ability to fulfil them and execute them and when you do, you feel amazing! You really do; it changes everything.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well- ... ating-tips

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98