Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:41 am 

Lisa Ray has overcome the disease and is itching to get back to Bollywood

She calls herself a cancer graduate, swears by the prowess of yoga and is writing a book on the disease. All this while Indian-Canadian actress Lisa Ray has been itching to return to Bollywood, which according to her is growing by leaps and bounds internationally.

"India has started to make an international impact and we are going from strength to strength. The kind of films that are being made now, the scripts...the way films are being made keeping in mind the global audience and also the technology advancements... It is growing by leaps and bounds," Lisa said.

Lisa, who made her Bollywood debut in 2001 with 'Kasoor', received critical acclaim for her performance in Deepa Mehta's 'Water'.

The actress was going strong with a string of films like 'Bollywood/Hollywood', 'I Can't Think Straight', 'Kill Kill Faster Faster' and 'Cooking with Stella' when suddenly in 2009 she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma -- a rare cancer of the bone marrow.

But Lisa says she was undeterred by the experience and looks back at the phase in a positive light.

"I have been through a difficult period and I was very open about it. There are many lessons that I learnt during that phase of my life. I call myself a cancer graduate now. Now I am more prepared and enthusiastic about life. I am excited to re-engage with life," she said.

The 39-year-old, who was born to a Polish mother and Bengali father, made her cinematic debut in 1994 in the Tamil film 'Nethaji'.

These days she is busy writing a book. "Life has taken a new turn and I feel blessed and rewarded. I am happy to be alive. I am working on opening a yoga studio in Canada and also writing a book on cancer awareness."

She says the life threatening disease has made her realise the importance of life.

"After suffering from such a life-threatening phase, I have realised that life is too important to take it for granted. I take complete care of my health, I eat healthy, keep note of my medicines and yoga is a great help. The fact that I have always believed in yoga and have been doing it since last 12 years can be the reason I have so much hope and energy within."

She says that relationships have become more important to her now.

"I believe that relationships with people who really love and care for you help you survive. I have learnt it the hard way that one should give enough time to relationships that matter," she said.

When asked about the status of her relationship with fashion photographer Paolo Zambaldi, she said: "I am not looking forward to marrying some time very soon, but I am enjoying this phase with him right now. I wish and hope that life gets better after this."

The actress refused to reveal details about her upcoming project but maintained that she is raring to make a comeback. "I have a big project coming up, but it is not the right time to reveal this."

"I can't wait to get back into films with a nice juicy project. Though I don't plan anything, I will wait for something that really interests me. I am in no hurry to load myself with work and anyway I will have to wait for my hair to grow long to work in a film," she says.

http://www.masala.com/32121-qim-a-cancer-graduateq

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:18 am 

Steve Jobs vs. Everyone: His Best Fights

With Steve Jobs' resignation as Apple CEO, there are a lot of pieces making the rounds that discuss the exec's legacy and how he guided Apple to the tech giant it is today. But you don't become one of the most powerful consumer tech companies in the world by being sweet as pie 24-7.

Many who have worked for Jobs have – in the same breath – described him as obnoxious, overbearing, brilliant, and dedicated. He's also not afraid of a fight, especially when defending or championing an Apple product on which he has worked.

From Adobe and Google to Sculley and Gates, Jobs has had his share of public outbursts and zingers. We take a look back at some Jobs tech battles from recent years and way back when. The list is certainly not exhaustive, so let us know in the comments if there are any other favorite Jobs battles you recall.

Jobs vs. Adobe Flash

Adobe and Apple were never the best of friends, but in April 2010, Jobs posted a juicy little note on the Apple Web site that attacked all things Adobe. The company's Flash technology, he said, was closed, unstable, and antiquated. Apple never allowed Adobe's Flash on iOS devices and that, Jobs said, was "based on technology issues." Simply put, Apple did not "want to reduce the reliability and security of our iPhones, iPods, and iPads by adding Flash," Jobs said.

Flash is the "number one reason Macs crash" and despite working with Adobe on the problems, they have continued for several years, Jobs continued. In addition, Adobe had not demonstrated a workable version of Flash on a mobile device. "We have routinely asked Adobe to show us Flash performing well on a mobile device, any mobile device, for a few years now. We have never seen it," Jobs said.

Adobe responded by accusing Apple of creating a walled garden around its apps, and pledging to focus its efforts on Android.

Jobs vs. Android

Jobs didn't usually drop in to Apple earnings call, but he made a special appearance in October 2010 with a personal message for Google's Android.

"Android is very fragmented," he said plainly. "Many Android OEMs, including the two largest, HTC and Motorola, install proprietary user interfaces to differentiate themselves from the commodity Android experience. The user's left to figure it all out. Compare this with iPhone, where every handset works the same."

Jobs predicted that Android was becoming "more fragmented by the day" and said Apple's approach didn't force the user "to be the systems integrator." Users want devices that just work and "we believe that integrated will trump fragmented every time."

Android engineering chief Andy Rubin was not impressed. He responded by tweeting the commands needed to start compiling a copy of Android on a home Linux machine. Basically, he stressed that anyone can develop for, hack, or even create their own version of Android, but the same cannot be said for Apple.

Jobs vs. RIM

In that same conference call, Jobs also took a swipe at Research in Motion. He pointed to the company's declining sales and said he didn't "see them catching up to us in the foreseeable future." Jobs urged RIM to "look beyond their area of strength and comfort, into the unfamiliar territory of trying to become a software platform company." Jobs thought it would be a challenge for RIM to "create a competitive platform," however, as well as convince developers to create apps for yet another app store.

"With 300,000 apps on Apple's App Store, RIM has a high mountain ahead of them to climb," Jobs said at the time.

Jobs was also skeptical about the success of 7-inch tablets; RIM was then still prepping its troubled PlayBook tablet. Rival tablets would be "dead on arrival," Jobs predicted.

Unfortunately for RIM, Jobs was probably right, but in response RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie accused Apple of living inside its own "distortion field."

"We also know that while Apple's attempt to control the ecosystem and maintain a closed platform may be good for Apple, developers want more options and customers want to fully access the overwhelming majority of Web sites that use Flash," Balsillie said. "We think many customers are getting tired of being told what to think by Apple."

Jobs vs. John Sculley

After the release of the Apple II in 1978 came the Macintosh, but Jobs needed a more typical CEO to help run things at Apple. He poached Pepsi executive John Sculley in 1983 and the Mac launched on January 24, 1984 with a splashy ad campaign and an iconic commercial. But sales were not what Jobs had hoped they would be, and by 1985, Sculley convinced the Apple board to ditch Jobs. "He destroyed everything I spent ten years working for," Jobs told PBS.

In a 2010 interview with Cult of Mac, however, Sculley said that "looking back, it was a big mistake that I was ever hired as CEO. I was not the first choice that Steve wanted to be the CEO. He was the first choice, but the board wasn't prepared to make him CEO when he was 25, 26 years old."

"The one who should really be given credit for all that stuff while I was there is really Steve," Sculley said.

Jobs vs. Microsoft/Bill Gates

Though Jobs left Apple in the 1980s, Apple and Microsoft battled it out in court for years over copyright infringement issues; a fight Apple eventually lost. In a 1996 PBS interview, Jobs said that Microsoft had "absolutely no taste" and didn't "think of original ideas." The drama between Microsoft and Apple was even turned into a TV movie called "Pirates of Silicon Valley." By September 1997, however, Jobs announced that Microsoft would invest $150 million in Apple.

During a 2007 joint-appearance at the "All Things D" conference with Microsoft's Bill Gates, Jobs said the Microsoft deal came about because "there were too many people at Apple and in the Apple ecosystem playing the game of, for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose. And it was clear that you didn't have to play that game because Apple wasn't going to beat Microsoft. Apple didn't have to beat Microsoft. Apple had to remember who Apple was because they'd forgotten who Apple was."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391784,00.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:10 am 

No battle lines in the cancer ward

JIM Stynes died. He did not, as reported in this and other newspapers, lose a fight. Those headlines made me feel extra sympathy for his family. As well as coping with his death, they were being told by every media outlet that he had failed.

The idea of losing is a potent simplification of a situation. It's a straightforward one to use when thinking about someone who wins or loses for a living, such as a politician or sports figure. But, with cancer, I feel it's wrong.

I'm a palliative care nurse and a writer. This means I regularly work with people who are dying and I regularly work with metaphors. In no way am I looking to minimise the efforts of Jim Stynes or anyone with cancer. My hope is that this article will alter the way at least a few people think about long-term illness and the perception that stoicism is always required.

Susan Sontag had the same hope when she wrote Illness as Metaphor in 1978. She suggested that the persistent use of military metaphors forces patients and the people around them to adopt or pretend to adopt a tough stance with cancer. They can never veer from it. The brave face must appear through surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, through remissions and side effects and the wait for the result of the next set of scans. Even the caregivers should not allow thoughts of discouragement to seep in. If they do, the illness will gain the tactical upper hand. An outburst of tears or an afternoon of despair brings guilt that one's thoughts are inviting the tumour to spread. If the disease doesn't respond to a treatment, the patient blames themselves or others for not being positive enough. As long as people stay upbeat, they will prevail. This is magical thinking.

If getting around this ''battle'' metaphor is difficult for families, it is likely because it is difficult for doctors and nurses. Too often we feel compelled to lead with hope. After all, our job is to find and implement cures. So we become complicit in this pressure to face bad news with resilience. Instead of being direct, we play down the seriousness of the situation. Instead of letting the patient respond in their own way, we quickly grasp for long-shot strategies. We don't want to discourage the patient and the patient doesn't want to discourage us. No one is allowed to experience the setback and we all go on, falsely.

Rather than ease the situation, this pressure becomes another burden. At its root is the pernicious notion that some form of bad thinking caused the cancer in the first place. When it comes time for treatment, the belief in the battler is a kind of earthly extension of religion: the strength of our faith can save us in the oncology ward.

As a result, if the patient or their carers experience any ''negative'' feelings (and they all do), they must face them alone. The patient minimises their experience of pain so as not to be seen as giving in. The spouse smiles hopefully whenever they are being watched. Fear must be made to look like fearlessness.

This is not a cure. All of the masking hides feelings and leads to isolation. Instead of a close, supportive connection among family and friends, it steers everyone towards bravado and inauthentic cheer.

There have been many studies on the effect that ''the fighting spirit'' and ''hopelessness'' have on patients with cancer. Neither of these coping styles has been found to have a conclusive impact on survival. Both are valid responses.

This is good news. The people I see who are living with cancer are often apologetic about being sad or not fighting hard enough. It is wonderful to be able to assure them that this is OK. Days of invincibility may be followed by days of helplessness. Or the feelings may alternate within the same minute. This is normal.

It's unrealistic to apply a premium to one feeling over the other, and unreasonable for people to feel apologetic for any of them. My goal is to let them be themselves. In the end, this is all we can hope to control.

Illness and death are not failures. What happens to our bodies is ultimately up to our cells, not our souls. This can be confronting to people who believe their will or their doctor's treatments can rescue them from all scenarios. But it is the truth.

The better we are at accepting the limits of our world, the more easily we can embrace what we have.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-a ... z1pyqFWex3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:27 am 

Tough time on the horizon for Mannah as cancer returns

Parramatta forward Jon Mannah has had a relapse in his battle with cancer. Mannah, who had bravely fought back to resume his football career after being diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2009, rejoined the Eels in the off-season after a stint at Cronulla. The 22-year-old had been playing for feeder team Wentworthville in the hope of pushing for an NRL spot and packing down alongside older brother Tim. However, he is now recuperating at home after the latest setback. ''I wish the Mannah family well and hope Jon has a quick recovery,'' Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo said. ''I'd love to see him play footy again soon.'' Tim Mannah didn't want to talk about Jon's condition after Friday night's loss to Penrith. However, in a recent interview the NSW prop told The Sun-Herald: ''He was inspiring me when I was training every day, knowing what he was going through. He was always upbeat.'' Jon played 24 first-grade games for the Sharks over three seasons before returning to the Eels, the club he had represented at junior and NYC level. Eels players have been deflated after a series of poor performances, but Mannah's health issues will put their woes in perspective. Upon signing with the Eels, Jon admitted there were times he thought he would never play again. ''Absolutely. In some of the early stages of the illness I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to come back to footy,'' Jon said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z1q4WJbrCP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:42 am 

Senator Judith Adams loses cancer battle

Western Australian senator Judith Adams has died after a brave and inspirational battle with cancer. She was 68.

The former nurse, midwife and farmer was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1998 before a secondary diagnosis in 2009, leading to extensive chemo and radiotherapy treatment in Perth.

She regularly spoke about the harsh realities of a prolonged fight with cancer and became a passionate advocate for those diagnosed with the disease.

"I live with cancer but I do not let it control my life," she said during an interview with the Breast Cancer Network Australia.

However, the disease eventually spread further within her body and she died on Saturday morning.

"Senator Adams had many friends in the Australian Parliament, on all sides of the political divide, and she will be greatly missed," federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said in a statement.

"Senator Judith Adams was a proud and passionate advocate for West Australia, a well-respected senator and a much-loved member of the Liberal Party family."

Leader of the Opposition in the Senate, Eric Abetz, said his colleague was a passionate Liberal who worked tirelessly for WA.

"During Judith's illness she never once complained about her lot," Senator Abetz said.

"Instead she soldiered on in an inspirational manner.

"On occasions one could detect the substantial discomfort she was experiencing but she would never mention it."

Senator Adams was elected as a Liberal senator for WA in 2004, becoming deputy opposition whip in the Senate and playing a key role securing changes to wheat laws and Defence Force drug policy.

Before entering politics she worked as a nursing sister in the New Zealand Territorial Army, with a stint as a civilian nurse during the Vietnam War.

During her political career she became a strong advocate for ANZAC Day and for those living in regional and remote Australia.

Senator Adams' husband, Gordon, a former Royal Flying Doctor Service pilot, died in 2008, just three weeks before her secondary cancer diagnosis.

The couple farmed at Kojonup, in WA's wheatbelt region, for 36 years with their sons Stuart and Robert.

"The thoughts of the Liberal Party are with her family and in particular her sons Stuart and Robert, their partners Anne and Tammy and her grandchildren Taylor and Maelle," party spokesman Ben Morton said in a statement.

"The Liberal Party, Western Australia and the Senate has lost a strong and determined advocate, a person who put up a fight and stood strong for what they believe in. Judith will be sadly missed."

A funeral service will take place in the coming days.

Senator Adams' family asked well-wishers to make a donation in her memory to Breast Cancer Care WA or The Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Leader of the Nationals in the Senate, Barnaby Joyce, said Senator Adams' perseverance was an example to everyone.

"As a colleague, Judith was always frank with you but in a way that was inescapably warm," Senator Joyce said in a statement.

"She will be sorely missed in the Senate and by many others throughout Australia."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... 1w4tm.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 am 

Remembering Loved Ones Lost

Cindy (my cancer surviving friend I’ve told you about) lost her husband (and my longtime friend) Max to glioblastoma, a malignant brain cancer. My fondest childhood memories of Max involve computers and antennas and communication with techies far from home via ham radio. The world lost Max after a sustained period of treatment during which he suffered seizures, required assisted mobility, and lost the ability to speak.

So many people survive and beat cancer diagnosis and treatment on a daily basis, but the fact remains that some of our loved ones will die before successful treatment is found. Friends and family must cope with an enormous loss once those lives end. Cindy asked me to tell you (after reading the blog about her) that there is a difference between losing a chosen best friend and soul mate versus other relationship losses — like a parent or, even more difficult, a child.

She explains: “losing your spouse is like accidentally cutting yourself with a really sharp knife while cooking…it happens so quickly you don’t realize it until you’re bleeding. It keeps bleeding, so you get stitches. And then the stitches come out. And then a scab forms. And pieces of the scab fall off. And you bleed and re-scab. The wound finally heals into a scar. As time passes, it doesn’t hurt like it used to, but it’s a constant reminder of the accident. The physical pain goes away and you don’t remember it as badly as when it happened.”

Cindy then told me a story about one time she was playing mahjong (a Chinese game using dozens of tiles that my mother plays and I’ll never understand) with a few friends. Two women playing had also lost their husbands to cancer. The host begins to tell everyone the story of a woman she knew whose husband had recently died. Organizing their beautifully colored, shiny, noisy tiles, the two women were whispering and laughing. The host wanted to know what was so funny. They turned to her and said “now she’s in the DHC too!” referring to their tongue-in-cheek name for those who have lost spouses.

The story left me speechless. Cindy saw my facial expression and reassured me: the bad memories sink, and the good memories rise to the surface, blurring your vision from the pain of history. It’s important to allow yourself time to feel and experience grief. Because with loss of loved ones comes strength in healing. Enough even to joke. But she’ll also tell you, she’d give anything to have her husband back, instead of just the memories.

http://blogs.webmd.com/cancer/2012/04/r ... -lost.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:51 am 

Emotional Chavez speaks on cancer at Mass

An emotional Hugo Chavez discussed his struggle with cancer Thursday night, tearing up at times as he spoke at a Mass in western Venezuela.At a service in his home state of Barinas billed by state television as giving thanks for his health, the Venezuelan president described cancer as "a true threat that marks the end of the path for many people. The end of the physical path, that's the truth."

But Chavez stressed that he was recovering, saying he had "much faith, much hope, much willpower to defeat this threat, as many people have, with the help of God and medical science."

He ended his sometimes somber, sometimes jocular remarks at the Thursday Mass with what he said was his message for God."Give me your crown, Christ, give it to me. Let me bleed. Give me your cross, 100 crosses, so I can carry them. But give me life, because I still have things to do for this people and this country," Chavez said. "Do not take me yet. Give me your cross, give me your thorns, give me your blood. I am prepared to carry it. But with life, Christ. Amen."

The 57-year-old president has not specified the type of cancer he is battling, and the government has released few specifics, fueling widespread speculation about his health and political future.

He returned to Venezuela early Thursday morning after a second round of radiation treatment in Cuba.

Walking unaided, Chavez held court on the tarmac of the airport in Barinas, telling well-wishers who had gathered to welcome him that his treatment went well.

"So far there has been no adverse reaction to the treatment; the body has assimilated it well," Chavez said. He was greeted by members of his family, government officials and supporters.

Chavez had been in Cuba since March 31. Doctors in the Caribbean island nation have operated on him twice to remove cancerous tumors, Chavez has said.

Since the beginning of the year, Chavez has spent 34 days, or about one-third of the year, in Havana."All the tests I've undergone have given positive results suggesting physical recovery," he said at the airport early Thursday.

The outspoken, flamboyant socialist leader has led Venezuela since 1999 and has pledged to run for re-election in October.

Venezuela's foreign ministry said Wednesday that Chavez spoke about his health in a lengthy phone conversation the day before with former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula Da Silva, who recently announced that his own cancer had gone into remission.

"President Chavez told his brother Lula that the treatment is going very well, and so is the political and economic situation of Venezuela," Venezuela's foreign ministry said in a statement summarizing the phone conversation.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-04-05/amer ... M:AMERICAS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:29 am 

Chavez begs Jesus to save his life

CONCERN about Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's health grew amid reports he will seek emergency care in Brazil.

Fears for the cancer-striken leader's health grew after Mr Chavez broke down during a religious service and begged Jesus Christ to grant him life.

Mr Chavez, who faces a potentially close presidential contest in October, made his plea during a televised Catholic Mass in his home state of Barinas, The Wall Street Journal reported.

"Give me life, even if a life in flames, or in pain, it doesn't matter," Mr Chavez said as grim-faced family members looked on and clapped.

While Venezuelans have grown accustomed to rumours about the president's health, Thursday's appearance was unusual by any standard.

"Christ, give me your crown ... give it to me, and I'll bleed ... give me your cross, give me a hundred crosses and I'll bear them, but give me life because there are things left for me to do ... don't take me yet."

For a moment, the president wept before recovering his composure.

Venezuelan and Brazilian journalists reported that the president will soon seek attention at Sao Paulo's famed Hospital Sirio-Libanes, where former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and Brazil's current President Dilma Rousseff have been treated for cancer.

In a press release posted on the Venezuelan Foreign Ministry site, Mr Chavez said he had talked with former president Lula, and said he would like to visit Brazil soon to meet him. The statement did not mention going to Brazil for treatment.

Venezuela Defense Minister Henry Rangel Silva dismissed the reports that Mr Chavez's health had taken a turn for the worse.

"He is in very good health," he said. "Those rumours are part of a campaign to wear down the government and its achievements."

Other Venezuelan officials were not available for comment on Mr Chavez's condition. Venezuela's government policy is that only Mr Chavez himself gives updates on his health.

Doctors in the unit in Brazil that would treat Mr Chavez had no knowledge of preparations to receive him, according to a spokeswoman at the private hospital.

Similar reports that Mr Chavez would seek treatment in Brazil surfaced last year after the populist president admitted in June that Cuban doctors had removed a baseball-sized tumor from his abdominal area. But Mr Chavez ended up continuing his treatment in Cuba.

During an appearance on state TV on Friday, Mr Chavez said he would be traveling to Cuba again overnight to undergo a third round of radiotherapy in the hope of beating his cancer diagnosed last year, AFP reported.

"Tomorrow night I will again fly to Cuba to continue my battle for my life and health," the Venezuelan leader said.

Mr Chavez made the announcement after spending some time with family members in Barinas in the west of the country.

"It was a spontaneous, sentimental thing," Mr Chavez said of his tears.

"My father and mother stood next to me. And suddenly we took each other's hands. My mom gave me her hand with such tenderness, and dad gave me his ... And because of this tears rolled down my face."

He said he would meet with Vice President Elias Jaua, Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro and other members of the cabinet before the departure.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/chavez ... 6321262672

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:41 am 

Miranda Kerr in cancer cure furore

MIRANDA Kerr has found herself in the middle of a health outcry after a blogger on the supermodel's website claimed cancer patients could cure their tumours in as little as 24 hours with fresh air and positive thinking.
Model and actor Liana Werner-Gray writes in her blog that people diagnosed with cancer "don't have to die if they don't want to".

Werner-Gray, a cancer survivor, says she cured herself by resting in the countryside, Epsom salt baths, enemas and rubbing herself with special clay.

She says Kerr's mother, Therese, cured herself of cancer through an organic diet and healthy lifestyle.

Some of Kerr's fans have reacted angrily to Werner-Gray's blog.

Kerr's spokeswoman Carlii Lyon said Ms Werner-Gray was not employed by Kerr.

"The blog written by Liana Werner-Gray ... is a reflection of Liana's personal beliefs and ideas only," she said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/mirand ... 6321652653

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:18 am 

Cancer conqueror Singh plots comeback

The 30-year old was told last year that he had a golf ball-sized non-malignant tumour. The diagnosis was changed in February to a cancerous condition called "mediastinal seminoma".

After receiving treatment in the United States in mid-March, Yuvraj spent a few days in London recuperating from the side-effects of chemotherapy before returning to India on Monday.

"I don't know what I will come back and be able to do. Getting back on the field will be a big achievement for me," Yuvraj, who is currently bald following chemotherapy, said.

"My body needs to recuperate, and to deal with all that pressure and to play for India again will be a very big achievement for me.

"As a sportsman I can only say I'm going to work hard. One thing I always think about is that I want to put the cap with the India logo back on my head.

"I can't say what I will do when I come back, but I am sure I will come back to cricket. Hopefully, in a couple of months I will be in the right mental and physical frame to get back on the field."

The hard-hitting middle-order batsman is not a regular member of India's test team but is an automatic choice in their limited overs sides.

Yuvraj, the player of the tournament in India's 50-over World Cup triumph last year, was also a main contributor in their 2007 World Twenty20 triumph, during which he hit England fast bowler Stuart Broad for six sixes in an over in one match.

Yuvraj is happy to have survived the fight, one he termed "the toughest" in his life and said his health and not cricket was his current priority.

"At the moment it is very important that I look after my health, eat the best diet, have the best surroundings," Yuvraj said.

"The focus will be on my health, and what the priorities are with regards to my health rather than being emotional and saying 'oh people want me back quickly'.

"I've gone through a very tough time, when I come back on the field I want it to be when I am absolutely fit, not to rush, even if it takes me an extra month. But I'm sure that I will return."

Wearing a pair of black sunglasses and a black round-neck T-shirt, Yuvraj sounded frustrated when he explained how it took him almost six months to know he had cancer.

"It was hard to believe that I had this illness. I am an athlete, I play through the day," he said.

"It was a difficult time, it was difficult to understand. It actually took six months to actually diagnose if I had cancer or some other problems.

"But I had to come out of it somehow. The cancer has gone from my body but the scars are yet to heal."

He said he did not like watching cricket during the days he underwent treatment in the United States and spent time reading American cyclist Lance Armstrong's 2000 autobiography 'It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life'.

Armstrong is one of sport's best-known cancer survivors and Yuvraj has often referred to him as his real life inspiration.

"Five-six years ago I was reading this book. I don't know the reason why I had left it half-finished," Yuvraj said, while taking occasional swigs of water.

"Maybe I had to come back to it this way and finish the book."

http://au.eurosport.com/cricket/singh-p ... tory.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:02 am 

Chavez Skips Americas Summit for Cancer Treatment in Cuba

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez pulled out of the Summit of the Americas this weekend for more cancer treatment, a day after saying U.S. President Barack Obama needed to be confronted over “Yankee interventionism.”

The South American president, who is facing an election in October, was advised by his doctors not to go to the summit and will travel to Cuba today instead for radiation therapy, Venezuela’s Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro said on state T.V.

“Chavez won’t take the opportunity to travel to this summit this time, but he is participating in the debate,” Maduro said in Cartagena, Colombia. “We will represent him so that his voice can be brought here.”

With Ecuador’s President Rafael Correa boycotting the summit and Nicaragua’s Daniel Ortega also deciding not to attend, Obama may face less open confrontation than three years ago, when regional leaders attacked the U.S. history of intervention in the continent. Chavez yesterday criticized the U.S. and Canadian presence at the summit because they oppose Cuba attending the events and haven’t backed Argentina’s efforts to regain the Falkland Islands from the U.K.

“They oppose these issues because they’re part of the old empires,” Chavez said to a crowd of followers outside the presidential palace in Caracas. “One of the issues that we need to talk about at the summit is Yankee interventionism. How long will this go on for, Mr. Obama?”

Muted Criticism

At the summit in 2009, Chavez handed Obama a Spanish- language copy of Uruguayan writer Eduardo Galeano’s book “Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent.” The book attacks the U.S. and Europe for 500 years of exploiting Latin America.

At this year’s meeting, the strongest criticism Obama has received so far is on U.S. monetary policy, which along with monetary expansion in Europe has led to a flow of funds into emerging markets, pushing up their exchange rates and undermining their competitiveness.

The policy is “provoking a real monetary tsunami,” Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said today. “It’s clear that we have to take measures to defend ourselves. I said defend, not protect. To defend is different, defend means to perceive that we cannot leave our manufacturing sector be cannibalized.”

She called on the developed world to find ways of boosting investment, rather than relying on cheap money to drive demand.

Cancer Treatment

Chavez, 57, returned to Caracas from Cuba on April 11 after completing the third of five planned radiation treatments.

“The treatment has an impact on my body and my physical strength,” Chavez said yesterday in a nationwide broadcast to mark the 10-year anniversary of a 2002 coup that briefly removed him from power. “The recovery has been positive, the treatment is going well.”

Nicaragua’s President Daniel Ortega won’t attend the summit either, Honduran President Porfirio Lobo said, according to Agence France-Presse. Lobo said he had been given the news by the Nicaraguan delegation at the summit, who hadn’t given a reason for the decision, AFP reported.

Ecuador’s Correa has said he won’t attend in protest at the exclusion of communist Cuba, the region’s sole dictatorship, from the meeting.

Maduro said yesterday in Cartagena that Venezuela wouldn’t attend another Summit of the Americas without Cuba, according to state television. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said today that Cuba must attend future summits.

‘New Era’

Obama said in an interview yesterday that his administration has done more than any in decades to improve relations with Cuba and blamed the communist regime for the nation’s exclusion from this weekend’s hemispheric summit.

“We’re looking for a new era in the relationship between our two countries,” Obama said, according to a transcript of the interview published in Spanish by Bogota’s El Tiempo newspaper.

Obama told regional leaders today that the U.S. has “never felt more excited about prospects of working as equal partners with our brothers and sisters in Latin America and the Caribbean.”

Obama, speaking in Cartagena, stressed the need for democracy and the rule of law as elements that pave the way for expanding economies.

Election Campaign

Venezuela’s National Assembly today approved Chavez’s request to leave the country for treatment, according to state television.

Chavez, who has undergone three operations since June as part of his treatment, is seeking to recover from the cancer in time to campaign for re-election in October in a bid to extend his 13-year rule until 2019.

“In the past 340 days, from May, 2010 through April 8, the president has spent 200 days in recovery and 80 days in Cuba,” opposition lawmaker Carlos Berrizbeitia said today. Yet, the president hasn’t given an official report on his health. “Venezuelans are learning about the president’s health from rumors,” he said.

Neither has the government hasn’t disclosed any succession plans in case Chavez isn’t healthy enough to participate in the elections.

“It would be easier for a horse to go through the eye of a needle than for the opposition to win the elections,” Chavez, dressed in a blue and white track suit, said yesterday. “If the opposition doesn’t recognize the results of the election, we’ll send the people and the military into the streets.”

Venezuela’s government will accept the results of the election if it loses, he said.

Speaking at a Catholic Mass in his home state of Barinas April 5, Chavez wiped tears from his face as he pleaded for life in his fight against cancer.

Chavez said cancer is a “real threat” that takes many lives and that he has faith that he will win the battle against the disease.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-1 ... -cuba.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:26 am 

My life has changed forever: Molly Meldrum after life-threateniing fall

AS you know, I've been out on the tiles a number of times. But never like this. My life changed forever when I fell off the roof on December 15 last year.

I can't say my life flashed before my eyes, but I have had plenty of time to reflect in the past few weeks, and I realise just how lucky I am.

It's lovely being in the TV Week Logies Hall of Fame; it's even better to be alive.

I've heard all the jokes:

What do Molly and St Kilda have in common?

They both can't stay at the top of the ladder.

It's just great to be able to laugh about it.

Every day is a new adventure.

The other day, the phone rang. "May I please speak with Molly?" the man said.

My friend Lizzie Joyce answered the phone because I was having a rest. She hates it when people don't identify themselves.

"Who's calling?" she demanded.

"It's Elton, Elton John."

Lizzie was a little fazed when she told me: "There's someone on the phone claiming to be Elton John."

It was Elton, and he sounded concerned. "What happened, dear?" he asked. "We were together at my concert in Melbourne and then I hear you're in a critical condition. Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine," I replied, "just remember that song I'm Still Standing."

John and Roger from Duran Duran dropped in to see me, and then dedicated that night's show to me. John told the Rod Laver crowd: "We don't usually dedicate our shows, but we'll dedicate this one to Molly, who we love to death."

That meant a lot.

A week later, Adam Ant dedicated Ant Music to me at his Palace show and kindly said that Countdown broke him in Australia.

I've received emails from hundreds of people, including Madonna, David Bowie and Mick Jagger.

Kylie and Michael Buble sent cards and flowers.

Julia Gillard sent a card and called me. She's all class.

And Ted Baillieu dropped in to say hello. "You're a national treasure, Molly," Ted told me.

I don't think I am, but it was a lovely thing to say.

It's nice having famous friends, but the amount of support I've received from the general public has been truly overwhelming.

I'm not sure I deserve all this attention, but it has certainly boosted my spirits.

I've got bags of cards from people that I've never met.

Melbourne Storm put together a book featuring all the text messages that were shown at Federation Square.

St Kilda compiled a book with messages from the players, staff and supporters.

So many messages touched me, including this one:

Molly, you are sick. I feel sad. You need to get better very soon. Love from Bella, Age 4

People have sent candles, stuffed toys, and presents for Ziggy.

Billy Slater's beautiful wife, Nicole, painted a portrait of Ziggy, which now hangs proudly in my living room.

I wish I could reply to all the cards and messages, but it's impossible - it would take all year and I'd never get my book finished!

It's times like these you realise who your true friends are. I have so many people to thank, including my great mate and maintenance man Joe, who literally saved my life on that fateful day.

Joe rushed to my aid while my PA, Yael Cohn, called the ambulance.

Words cannot express how grateful I am to Yael. She was at my bedside every day, dealing with the media and updating my friends.

Looking after me is not easy at the best of times (though I was probably easier to deal with when I was in a coma).

To have Yael by my side during some dark days meant so much. She is the special woman in my life. I couldn't have got through it without her.

"Rock" has been a big part of my life, but my brother Brian has been a rock in another way.

A good mate recently said, "Brian is just like you, but without all the drama."

That's true. I couldn't have had a better bloke beside me during the tough times. Big thanks to Brian, his wife, Gillian, and my nieces.

My son Morgan flew home from China to be with me in hospital - and I think he enjoyed the fact that I couldn't yell at him or tell him what to do.

The support I've had from Channel Seven, Foxtel and MTV has been incredible.

My heartfelt thanks to David Leckie, Lewis Martin, Tim Worner, Graeme Hill and Ian Johnson at Seven; Brian Walsh at Foxtel, and Rebecca Batties at MTV. Hopefully I'll be back at work soon.

So many dear friends have continued to stand by me, including my manager, Mark Klemens; Michael and Sue Gudinski, Dannii Minogue, Gerry and Val Ryan, Michael Chugg and Mam, Peter and Anna Blunden, John and Renee Ribot, Jeanne, Heloise and the Pratt family; and Lindsay, Paula, Katrina and the Fox family.

Their support means so much.

And what can I say about the incredible doctors and nurses at the Alfred and the Epworth?

I must make special mention of my neurosurgeon Professor Jeffrey Rosenfeld at the Alfred, and Professor John Olver, the medical director at Epworth Rehabilitation.

Simply, they put me back together. I will be forever grateful.

I take my hat off to the nurses. Whatever they're paid, it's not enough.

I'm thinking I could star in a stage production of The Wiz - Ziggy could play Toto, and I could be the Tin Man. I'm not sure who will play Dorothy.

It's great to be home. Thanks to all of my friends who have visited and cared for me. Special thanks to Damian Melder and his crew.

There's no place like home. But my good friends at the Egyptian Consulate in Melbourne have invited me to return to Egypt, and I can't wait to get back there.

And hopefully I'll soon be back in Phuket with my partner, Yan, catching up with our friend Angelica and her daughters, Sabrina and Georgia.

Finally, a big hello to all the patients in rehab at the Epworth. When you're in hospital, you realise just how easily accidents can happen and how it can be a long road to recovery.

You can't do it alone - you need the support of family and friends and wonderful medical people. My thoughts are with everyone who's in hospital.

Every year I'm blown away by the generosity of Victorians when they support the Good Friday Appeal.

This year I realised just how important our hospitals and medical people are - you never know when you might need them.

Please take care. Stay off the roof. And Go Saints and Storm! It's great to be able to see another footy season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6330827905

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 am 

Warren Buffett has prostate cancer

Tycoon Warren Buffett has announced he has early-stage prostate cancer, and indicated he had no intention of stepping down as head of his investment firm Berkshire Hathaway.

Buffett, in a letter to Berkshire shareholders, said he had been diagnosed with Stage I prostate cancer last Wednesday and would undergo radiation treatment beginning in mid-July.

Imaging tests revealed no cancer elsewhere in his body, he said.

"The good news is that I've been told by my doctors that my condition is not remotely life-threatening or even debilitating in any meaningful way," the 81-year-old investment guru said.

The letter was released after the stock markets closed on Tuesday.

Buffett said he and his doctors had decided on a two-month treatment of daily radiation, which would restrict his travel "but will not otherwise change my daily routine".

"I feel great - as if I were in my normal excellent health - and my energy level is 100 per cent," said Buffett, dubbed the Oracle of Omaha for his shrewd investments that have raked in billions.

The cancer was discovered during a routine medical check-up that showed an unusually large jump in his blood level of PSA - a protein that is a prostate-specific antigen produced by the cells of the prostate gland.

"A biopsy seemed warranted," Buffett said.

The PSA test is recommended by many doctors to help determine prostate cancer in men age 50 and older.

"I will let shareholders know immediately should my health situation change. Eventually, of course, it will. But, I believe that day is a long way off," he said.

Berkshire shares rose 1.4 per cent on Tuesday but were down 1.8 per cent in post-market trading.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/world-bu ... z1sQX1Clfh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:47 am 

Cancer-stricken Chopper 'has weeks to live'

Melbourne criminal Mark ''Chopper'' Read has been given just weeks to live after being diagnosed with liver cancer, according to reports.

The crook-turned-author and artist used Twitter yesterday to break the news about his failing health, telling his 3428 followers: ''Looks like the big C has finally bitten. Let's see how we go …''

He later said he had four tumours on his liver and had been given just six weeks to live but was not afraid of dying.

"I've got liver cancer. They say there's no way out of it," the Herald Sun quoted him as saying.

"It depends on who you talk to. Some reckon you've got six weeks, some reckon you've got six months, some reckon if you're looked after you could have as long as six years.

"As long as the bleeding stops, I don't give a bugger."

Earlier, he apologised for not ''tweeting of late - have been spending a bit of time in hospital for my liver''.

Read, whose life was immortalised by Eric Bana in the 2000 film Chopper, later tweeted that he feels ''OK''. ''Some more surgery in a couple of weeks and hopefully I'll be ready to rock n roll after that,'' he wrote.

In 2009, Read told ABC Radio that he was refusing a liver transplant after contracting liver cirrhosis.

''I'm not going to ask for a liver transplant, it's not fair,'' he said. ''I'm 55 years old; I'm not going to put my name down against some 10-year-old kid.'' A year earlier, he said he contracted hepatitis C by using shared razor blades in prison.

''I do what I'm told and try to live a clean life. But this is killing my liver and killing me. I will die,'' he said.

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/n ... 36371.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:29 am 

Cancer claims Beastie Boys' Yauch

ADAM Yauch, aka MCA of the Beastie Boys, has died at the age of 47 after a long battle with cancer.

Yauch founded the hip-hop group in 1979 along with bandmates Michael "Mike D" Diamond and Adam "Ad Rock" Horovitz.

GlobalGrind website first reported the news but the band has not yet released a statement. The news quickly became a top trending item on Twitter, with tributes pouring in from fans and his fellow musicians.

"Adam was incredibly sweet and most sensitive artist who I loved dearly and was always inspired by his work. He will be missed by all of us," hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons, who was Yauch's mentor, said in a statement.

Singer Justin Timberlake tweeted he was "crushed to hear the news of Adam Yauch's passing. A true pioneer of art. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones."

Rapper Snoop Dogg tweeted, "RIP MCA U are a Legend and a pioneer," and rocker Fred Durst wrote, "A very sad day indeed. Adam Yauch RIP."

The Grammy Award-winning group first hit the big time with their 1986 album, "License to Ill."

The band, best known for hit singles such as "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)" and "Sabotage," released seven studio albums and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April.

Yauch revealed in 2009 that he was receiving treatment for a cancerous parotid gland and a lymph node.

He is survived by his wife Dechen Wangdu and 13-year-old daughter, Tenzin Losel Yauch.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ri ... z1tw1G9nwi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next