Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: recurrence
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:16 pm 

Hi everyone,

My husband was diagnosed with AOIII in Feb 08 & had 80% debulked plus radiotherapy, he was very lucky in not having deficeits from the operation, My husband was very positive in his recovery and he pushed hard to get back into full time work which he did after a few set backs, unfortunately we had an MRI 3 months ago which showed slight change so we were told to change from 6 monthly to 3 monthly MRI, we have just received the results this week & unfortunatly there is significant changes, as you can imagine my husband & I were devestated, he was convinced that he had beaten it and really he had no problems recently other than being very tierd all the time, he now has to have it debulked again, has anyone had this done & the grade gone higher, I have tried to make him feel better by telling him that it may come back a lower grade, but to be honest I dont think that will be the case.

Thanks for listening

Anne
Wife of Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:56 am 

Hi Anne,

Thanks for sharing your story. Unfortunately, the assumption is that recurrence nearly always occurs at a higher grade, unless the pathology shows otherwise.

That's why this such a difficult disease. Statistics show the reality - only 5% of those with malignant tumours make it into remission longer term, in the sense that the major cancers do.

It appears to be the cancer stem cells that are the problem. Even when if you have a clean scan after surgery some remain behind and stem cells are resistant to treatment.

All of which is bad news. There are however things that you can try. My focus is on those things that make the general population live longer and my belief that while it has acute elements cancer is still a chronic disease. For the acute treatment, one of the most promising forms of treatment is heat. I am going to request this during my next operation, if possible. Heat has been shown to make cancer more susceptible to radio & chemo.

As a chronic illness we need to retain hope, this appears to be harder for men (we tend to be harder on the outside and softer on the inside). The saddest thing about being in hospital - you are surrounded by helplessness. Sunshine, omega 3 and good nutrition are vital.

I noticed an anomaly regarding cancer survivors, they are almost always vegetarian. Whatever you did before, I told myself, didn't work, I have got to change. Most of us eat meat, drink alcohol and are overweight. Most of us don't get enough exercise.

Good luck with his treatment. Just think 50/100 years ago he and I wouldn't have made it this far. Science is still coming up to speed and is likely to advance further in other cancers first. This disease is as much psychological as physical. Don't let it beat you.

Take care,
Ken

Post subject: recurrence
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 pm 

Hi Kenobewan

Thanks for the information, what I have found this week is since my husband has been told it has come back, he has lost all his fighting spirit, it breaks my heart to see him like this he has fought so hard to be as he puts it normal. It is playing heavily on his mind at the moment he worries for me & he worries about the future, life is not fair, he was really fit before he was diagnosed & has carried this on since, he has never smoked and only drinks socially.

Thanks for listening

Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:38 am 

Hi Anne,

Who wouldn't feel bad about having brain cancer? The trick is not to make things worse. I know of people who have been through recurrence and survived. One of the keys is only thinking about those things you can control.

Here are some tips:

- join a laughter group, that's right its a group of people who get together and laugh. Can't find one - start your own.
- smile for 30 seconds, it brings about changes that make you feel happy.
- keep a dairy.
- eat a plant based diet.
- exercise especially in nature.
- be a sun seeker - 15mins is all it takes.
- omega 3's are mood boosters.
- watch favourite comedies.
- seek help if none of the above works seek professional help.

Stress is another factor and dealing with it is vital. I want to have self control, patience and calmness. I am still learning about each of these.

Take,
Ken.

Post subject: High grade Astrocytoma
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 pm 

My husband Richard has just come out of hospital after having a resection after a recurrence of his AOIII, my question is has anyone on the site been treated for a high grade Astrocytoma, on his MRI report that was done after his operation it stated he had a high grade Astrocytoma, I am not sure if this is a mistake or maybe it has changed, does anyone know if this is worse than the AOIII

Thanks
Anne
Wife of Richard
Feb 08 Anaplastic Oligo
October 11, recurrence - still waiting correct diagnosis