Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 pm 

HI Everyone,

My husband (34 years of age) was originally diagnosed with stage 3 Anaplastic Oligod astrocytoma on April 5th 2011. He had surgery on the 8th April, they removed 7cm by 5cm from the right tempral to the occipital lobe. The neurosurgeon could not tell if she fully excised the tumor. 1 week later they diagnosed him with stage 3 brain cancer. 3 weeks after surgery my husband started 6 weeks of full brain radiation. Whilst having radiation they recommended an MRI, the MRI come back not very favourably the tumor had grown back to it's original size. They stared my husband on chemo (Temodal - 400mg 5 days on, 3 weeks off) on top of radiation. They upgraded him to stage 4 GBM as it was growing so aggressively. 6 weeks later we had another MRI, this was a bit more favourably for us as the tumor had now stopped growing. My husband is on round 9 of chemo and the tumor is still stablized with small changes. He is doing remarkably well. He gets quite tired but on the plus side of things he doesn't have as many seizures as he used to (he is taking keppra 2000mg a day). If you were to look at him you would not think that he had this horrible disease. My husband has a very positive outlook even though we know that their is no cure. We hope and pray for this everyday. My husband has written a song to me, he wrote this to me after he was diagnosed. In doing this I feel that he has given me a part of him he has touched many hearts I hope to share our story with you. I hope all of your loved ones are doing well. I hope to read positive outcomes from you all. xoxoxo

You can view my husbands song on youtube called Shane Latham Take my hand it has pictures of our family and we have also posted a MRI of his brain tumor.

Here is the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MvsFqoR ... oxO-LaLzRv

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:30 pm 

Hi

Thank you for sharing your story. I just listened to the song and it is beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. It is so beautiful to see that through such a difficult time, that there is so much love around.

My husband was diagnosed with a Brain Tumour in 2007 when he was 25, what has followed has been 5 operations and he has just completed 6 weeks of radiation treatment. We are hopeful that it worked and he will be having an MRI in 4 weeks.

Good luck to you and your family. I wish you all the best and I too hope that this is year a cure is found...... I never give up hope.

From
Romina81

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:46 pm 

Thank you for your kind words. We wanted to share this with other people, well I wanted to share this with other people as I am so proud of Shane. Shane has gone through hell and back but he still keeps his spirits high and he is always hopeful. I guess through song writing this is how Shane is expressing himself with "living with cancer" it also keeps him busy plus we get to hear his fabulous music.

I am so glad that they have this site so we can learn from each other about this horrible disease. I have never heard of anyone that had a brain tumour except for Dr Green from the show ER!!!!!! It just shows us that we are not alone.

I hope that your husbands MRI comes back favourably, I will say a pray for you and your family. Shane goes for his MRI at the end of March and we will get the results at the start of April I am hopeful that the results are going to be stable.

Thanks again for you kind wishes

Post subject: beautiful song
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:17 pm 

Hi Shane, beautiful written, I hope you may follow the path as my girl Nicole, she was diagnosed in Jan.2006 with GBM and was given 3/9 months survival, she has to date proven the medicos wrong,I am proud of her and her positive outlook on life. She has stated from the start she would see her little boy grow up. She has just watch him start highschool...Nicole had the standard treatment + 12months extra chemo. To date she is doing great , read her story on the brain support site.Never give up hope, miracles do occur.....
Best wishes to you & your family

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 am 

Hi Meganandshane

Just wantedto touch base and say hi and see how your hubby is doing?

From Romina81