Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:39 pm 

I had 2 Grand Mal seizures while on a cruise. Luckily my wife was in the room and I received immediate treatment. I am now involved in a limited research program at the University of Miami that is treating a brain Tumor in a similar way that Polio was/is treated. Once they remove the tumor it is harvested and frozen. If it determined to be a Stage 4 tumor they manipulate your tumor and re-inject it into you in the form of a vaccine. The body then (hopefully) recognizes it as a foreign body and sets up defenses against it. It then searches the body for similar infections and then hopefully attacks and removes the tumor. If this works it is considered the future of cancer treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 pm 

just read about this-this is the heat-shock protien, correct? this is one of the vaccines that look promising-let us know how things go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:46 pm 

The vaccine sounds very exciting, best of luck with it! And like Allan9 I'd love to hear how it goes.

http://med.miami.edu/news/first-patient ... ls-hopeful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 am 

Yes this is the heat shock protein but I have not been chosen to receive the treatment. Under the conditions of the Grant only Stage 4 patients are eligible and I, luckily, had only a stage 2. Bluefoot posted a link that explains it all very well. I did, however, have one of the best Surgical teams available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:29 pm 

Vince D wrote:
Yes this is the heat shock protein but I have not been chosen to receive the treatment. Under the conditions of the Grant only Stage 4 patients are eligible and I, luckily, had only a stage 2. Bluefoot posted a link that explains it all very well. I did, however, have one of the best Surgical teams available.

Did you have your surgery in Miami with Dr. Komotar? Hubby is having surgery for GBM with him next week and we are really feeling like we have the best there is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:26 am 

Vince D wrote:
I had 2 Grand Mal seizures while on a cruise. Luckily my wife was in the room and I received immediate treatment. I am now involved in a limited research program at the University of Miami that is treating a brain Tumor in a similar way that Polio was/is treated. Once they remove the tumor it is harvested and frozen. If it determined to be a Stage 4 tumor they manipulate your tumor and re-inject it into you in the form of a vaccine. The body then (hopefully) recognizes it as a foreign body and sets up defenses against it. It then searches the body for similar infections and then hopefully attacks and removes the tumor. If this works it is considered the future of cancer treatment.

Hi Vince,

My husband just had surgery for GBM IV with Dr. Komotar at UM on 3/19 and will hopefully be enrolled in the Heat Shock Study along with you. We are waiting to hear now if there was enough viable tumor to make the vaccine. Just now getting ready to start the standard protocol of radiation and Temodar. Dr. Komotar has to be the finest, most humane doctor I have ever met and I am an RN who has worked for years. Please keep us informed of your progress.