Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:16 pm 

Hi y'all!

My name is Leticia (28 yo) and I'm from Brazil. As you can tell by my nickname, my dad has been recently diagnosed with grade 3 Anaplastic Astrocystoma and I'm very worried.
On August 31st he had surgery, however they were not able to remove all the tumor due to the location on the brain stem, and so he'll start Radiation and Chemotherapy (with Temodal) this month.
I'm looking for some stories and of course, for some hope.
The thing is, my dad doesn't know about the complete diagnosis. He's not very emotionally stable to deal with it, so my brothers (2 big brothers) and I decided not to tell him everything, so he could keep his positivity. I don't now if it was the right thing to do, but this is how we chose to handle the situation.
Well, the AA3 diagnosis is very recent, it's been only 2 weeks since we got the result of the biopsy.
At first I was devastated and thinking it was a death sentence. Who doesn't, right?!
On Monday we went to our first appointment at the oncologist, and he told us (me and my brothers only) that the chances of surviving over 5 years with this kind of tumor is less than 5%.
Well, I hope that my dad is one of these 5%!
As you know, Dr. Google (lol) gives us everything BUT hope, as every website treats the disease as statistics, so I was starting to believe that my dad was going to become a number among so many others.
Then I decided to go after some debate groups and that's why I ended up here.
Is someone out there with the same diagnosis? Or someone that could really give me some advices to cheer me up?!
I could really use some nice words!
Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:49 pm 

Hi worrieddaughter. So sorry to hear about your dad. This is such a difficult journey. My husband was first diagnosed nearly 9 years ago with a grade 2/3 tumour.
He has had a hard road with 8 surgeries, radiotherapy and countless rounds of chemotherapy but he is still here and still fighting. While life has been so hard sometimes we have had many wonderful times too and that is because we have had time, time I know others are not so fortunate to have had.
Never give up hope and I always tell Oliver that he is my exception. The tumour that come back now us a grade four GBM and that was over 2 years ago.
I wish you and your family all the very best.