Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:33 am 

My name is Claire, I'm now 22, and was diagnosed with a grade I astrocytoma in August 2005. I had my surgery 3 days after diagnosis, and was in hospital for 3 weeks afterwards, after contracting a blood clot on my brain and swelling. This is the first time Ive ever actually seen it written in black and white what I had and had done to me, which is pretty scary! After my surgery and recovery, in the follow up appointments with my consultant, I was offered numerous "counselling sessions" to help me come to terms with what I'd just gone through, but to be honest, at 21, the thought of receiving counselling frightened me more than being told I had a brain tumour! The whole thing has actually passed me in a blur, I think I have mentally blocked out a lot of it, as it was just too stressful to remember.
Anyway, 16 months on, I am now back to work full time, I'm engaged to be married to a wonderful man, have set up home together, and am looking forward to the future. I have no side effects of the removed tumour, receive no further treatment or medication, and (thankfully!) have no more headaches! Ok, so its not all as cut and dried as Ive made it, there are a lot of hurdles, good and bad days, and tonnes of weird feelings and emotions to deal with, but you do get there in the end!
I basically wanted to post my(very brief) story on here, so that people can see that there is life afterwards, and that not all brain tumours mean death or limited life. I have in no way been hindered by my experience (thats all it is to me now, allbeit, once that I dont wish to go through again!), its now just something to me that happened, and I dealt with it. I find it amazing to be amongst others that have shared similar "experiences", as for the past 16 month, I have often felt that Ive been the only person in the world thats done it all!!

One thing I will ask though, does anyone else have the same phobia as me, where I can now no longer watch any form of hospital programme on tv, as the slightest machine beep sends me hurtling back to my days in The General? I would be interested to know!

Anyway, thanks for reading, its been weird actually writing about it, but I feel its helped. Please, let me know if youd like to know anymore, I think I could get a lot out of this sharing stories!

Claire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:02 am 

Claire I have not gone through being the patient in the hospital system but have watched my husband dying in ICU for 3 months and my sister through all her GMB IV treatment over the last year and I find I just cannot watch anything medical, if I can't switch channels I leave the room. I find All Saints too real and any of the doco's but the American stuff is more over the top and doesn't seem as real to me.
I feel whatever the loved one goes through we go through, not physically but mentally and sometimes that's worse, at least they give you something for the pain, our pain is left untreated :(
You should be very proud of yourself, now you enjoy the rest of your life to the very best of your ability OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:54 pm 

I totally agree with you, I was out of it for most of my hospital stay, therefore didnt really take much in of what was going on around me, or what was being said by the docs etc, it was my family that beared the brunt, which makes me feel terrible, though we now all feel that talking about the whole thing helps an awful lot!

Hope all is well with your sister, thanks for the reply!

Claire
x