Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Ross and Jane Symons
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:11 am 
Site Admin

My name is Ross Symons, I am the carer and husband of Jane Symons, we live in Mentone, Victoria with our four children aged 10, 9, 4 and 2 years old. Jane was diagnosed with a left temporal GBM on the 1st August 2004.

In October 2004 Jane was expected to live at most a few weeks as her tumour had decided to grow against radiotherapy and adjunctive Temodal, the worst possible prognostic factors. I was advised to put Jane into palliative care.

By implementing an aggressive schedule of adjunctive therapies the tumour was stopped dead in its tracks. Histopathology following a second surgery in February 2005, required because of cystic activity and resultant pressure, confirmed that the tumour was all dead.

It is now nearly a year since initial diagnosis, in relative terms Jane is a survivor. Our full story is available at www.jane.symons.com.au

Last edited by Ross Symons on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Clean PET 22-July-2005
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Jane had a full body PET scan today, particularly about the abdomen as I was a little concerned about metastases via the shunt, it is all clear.

Conclusion:
Appearances are those of an ongoing complete metabolic response. There are no features to suggest residual or recurrent metabolically active disease in the left temporoparietal region.

*Note: metastases occurring via a shunt is a very small risk.

Last edited by Ross Symons on Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Since a picture says a thousand words, here is a segment of Jane's initial scan prior to diagnosis. The rest can be seen at www.jane.symons.com.au

Attachments:
File comment: scan segment 03-08-2004 As with most scans, it is a mirror image, the right side of the scan represents the left side of the brain.
scan-2004-08-03.jpg
scan-2004-08-03.jpg [ 86.92 KiB | Viewed 7232 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:25 am 
Site Admin

My wife Jane passed away tonight, the 19th of November 2005. The radiotherapy induced necrosis in the area of the Pons which ran rampant this last week and as a result she just stopped breathing.

I was with her at the end, it was sudden and unexpected, but painless, my
hand happened to be on her heart as she drew her last breath.

For those yet to take radiotherapy, please make sure you are involved in the planning process, be sure to understand the different areas where the rays may go and the individual risks of each area.

Jane was still clean and clear of tumour right until the end, and I hope that this gives you all hope.

I am no longer fighting the fight with you but assure you all that I will
help where I think I can.

Love to all,

Ross.

Ross Symons

Husband of Jane Symons
www.jane.symons.com.au