Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Feeling equal or unequal
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:54 pm 

I have never really known what it was like to be treated unfairly before. I thought that because I was healthy all I had to do to stay healthy was to stay fit. In the two years since I was diagnosed with cancer things have changed.

Mind you not that I'm complaining. I have had it easy so far compared to many with this disease. Its just that many people treat me differently than they used to.

It started soon after the surgery when I was confined to a wheelchair. People used to shout at me as though I was deaf, when my hearing was unaffected. Then when they weren't shouting they began talking to me as though as I was five years old.

Today I am walking but it is more subtle and the frustrations mainly stem from work. I request many things on multiple occasions and nothing gets done. Males are more agressive than they used to be and expect me to always back down. We moved offices at work recently, guess whose PC still doesn't work?

When you have felt equal in the past it is more of a contrast. Being male I am more likely to feel ill at ease and less comfortable backing down. As I don't cope with stress as well as I used to I usually have to back down and that doesn't come easy.

Many people would say 'welcome to my world' and it may not be through disability. So I guess I am more aware now of how the other half lives. It would be interesting to hear whether others experience is similar. Although I have to confess subject probably arose at work, sitting around trying to maintain a positive facade while not being able to work :).

Post subject: i agree
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm 

I strongly agree in particular about being spoken to as is you where a five year old, whilst in ICU I found this as I was being given a cold sponge bath at 5am with the nurse saying ( now dosent that make you feel better ) in that tone , it was far from what I was thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:50 pm 

Don't get me started on those 5am injections in the stomach because it was more convenient for night shift to give it ;).

As I said this started from a bad day, but geniunely interested whether people feel they have been treated differently and if so how?

I said in my personal story that the contrast between work and the gym couldn't have been greater; although my employer has been very good. At the gym people were so positive and happy to be part of the experience :).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:05 am 

Ken,

I understand perfectly what you mean. We are walking in other people's shoes now. I get treated like a child and I have to remind my family not to do everything for me that I can do it but I am just a bit slower because my arm and leg are "numb". My favourite comment is "I might be slow but I'm not stupid" I was once shopping and was walking with my walking stick and I passed a young man in a wheelchair. I looked in his eyes and nodded hello and the look that passed between us was " I know how you feel and I am acknowledging you as a human being and not as a disabled person. Keep striving for your rights.

regards
Linda
(temporarily disabled)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:45 pm 

I certainly feel I get the short straw with people in the wards I'm in.

This time it was an elderly gentleman. Not his fault that he was suffering dementia, but prevented me from getting an ounce of sleep on Wednesday.

Reminded me why hospitals are no fun to stay in ;).