Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: More cancer scam artists
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:38 am 

Woman told to stop selling cancer 'miracle drug'

A north Queensland woman has been ordered to stop treating cancer patients with what she claimed was a "miracle mineral supplement".

Mackay resident Jillian Margaret Newlands charged cancer patients up to $2,000 per treatment to inject them with a concoction of citric acid and sodium chlorite, claiming it would cure cancer.

The District Court in Brisbane has been told in one case she even advised one client not to seek chemotherapy treatment.

The Court was also told the claims were false and misleading and that Ms Newlands was not qualified to practise cancer treatment.

The court was told that Ms Newlands operated from the garage of her home, and investigators from the Office of Fair Trading found no evidence of proper sterilising techniques.

Newlands was ordered to pay court costs and has has been told to stop administering treatments that are not approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/23/2550810.htm?section=australia

Comment - unfortunately there are people out there willing to rip off cancer patients. If it sounds too good to be true, it often is. There is no cure for cancer yet.

People who survive have in all known cases had standard treatments. At present, while they can share useful information they can be still regarded as very fortunate. The people selling these 'cures' on the Internet are not usually ex patients but vultures willing to rip off the vulnerable.

One resource to check is http://www.quackwatch.org/. Many dodgy treatments are found there. Unfortunately, cancer and elderly patients are two groups who are targets for scams. While I still have faith in human nature, as shown on this site, I like reading when these scam artists are called to account.

While I don't know the full details of this particular case, I thought it was a good one to highlight as she was found guilty and ordered to stop.