Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: In and out of hospital
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:05 pm 

I was experiencing increased symptoms on my left side and severe headaches which led me to phone my neurosurgeon. I had another mri and ct scan. I was taken to our local outpatients then went by air ambulance to Cabrini Private in Melb. My Neuro advised there was Necrosis from my radiotherapy last year plus mt grade 2 glioma had progressed to grade 4. He debulked my tumour and took pathology under surgery which confirmed the grade 4. Now after a couple of weeks in hosp both private and rehab after the surg I am back home. I see the chemo oncologist on Mon and will commence oral chemo and further radiotherapy as there is anew tumour grown from the grade 2 glioma so they are treating a different one. Any advice out there from anyone?

Linda
Glioma diag 18/3/2008 (had 6 weeks of radiotherapy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 pm 

Sorry to hear about your recent problems. Try to stay positive, maybe start setting small goals. Focus on the things that will make you feel normal again. Suggest watching your favourite comedian and having a good laugh. Avoid sugar and glutamine, beetroot juice will help your cardio strength while you are under going treatment.

I try to focus on what will keep me healthy, especially mental and physical exercises. Recently I have started taking Resveratrol and Quercetin, that are currently being investigated as chemo-sensitises. I already take omega-3 oils, eat salmon and take phosphatidylserine capsules to promote brain health.

A recent study suggested asparin may help in the fight against tumours. I would try taking/ eating more garlic. If you get more regrowth I would be seeing if you can enroll in a study using Avastin. If I had a spare $100k I would contact Cedars-Sinai in the US and see what they recommend. Alternatively see if you get hold of a dendritic vaccine treatment/ trial; not available in Australia.

I'll be thinking of you. Let us know how things are going. All the best with your remaining treatment :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:22 am 

I'm a newbie Linda, so I don't know what useful advice I can offer, though as kenobewan said, please do stay positive, and keep us informed.