Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:10 pm 

In June 2002 a middle aged manager (Harry Wolf) is diagnosed with a gbm4, and is told he has a 1 to 2% chance of surviving 2 years. He survives year 1, and writes a book "Damn the statistics, I have a life to lead" (a great title), which covers just his first year.

It's not a survival book, and it simply covers his treatment and some of his personal life.

So, given that he's only got a 1 to 2% chance of surviving to year 2, how long does he live?

The book itself is of interest, and doesn't really provide any new insights, at first glance, for surviving gbm4 (many of us have lived or are living Harry's story), but what I find really interesting is that Harry survived until the beginning of this year - six and a half years.

Maybe having a really cool motto, determination, and a creative outlet, can help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:13 pm 

A nice story. Reminds me of a poster last year who was complaining she was too busy to die from a brain tumour. My money is on her still being too busy to meet with the grim reaper.

I believe that people in our position still need to have goals. That's one of the reasons that I compete in disability sports and continue to work. So I'll keep putting off that meeting with the grim reaper as long as possible, maybe he'll get the hint that I'm too busy ;).

Hey, happy fathers day to all the dad's out there. I had a great day, hope that you did too :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:40 am 

I did have a great Fathers day Ken, and I hope you did too (and all the other fathers). I agree with you about planning for the future. It was hard at first, but as continue to recover, it's getting easier.

I'm self employed and work from from home, so it's been pretty easy to continue working (just a few hours a day) - though some people think I'm crazy. What am going to do? Watch crappy TV all day?

And hey, damn the statistics, I have a life to lead!