Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:57 am 

The Metabolic Typing Diet by William Walcott & Trish Fahey

After reading the bad press regarding this diet, I wondered whether I had made a mistake in ordering it. Still it was brought using a xmas voucher so I nothing to lose. It sounded interesting and I thought well if I get one thing out of it, it will have worth ordering.

Good

That it worked worked for me was a big plus. Its not often that the theory matches the practice. Although it only been one month, looks like there is going to be a longer positive change. Luckily I made the change before reading the book and so was able to read it in this light.

The first chapters I found comforting. The theory was sound and was proving a fuller understanding of why the changes in my diet were working.

Chapter 7 provided a questionaire that successfully identified my type. One criticism of this diet has been the testing. Hair or blood samples can be requested and results may vary. By sticking to a questionaire the test was also simple.

The diet itself is a simple solution. As you shall hear later, much simplier than the complex explanations behind it. In my mind there is room for further simplification. Consume good fats and only concern yourself with proteins and carbs.

One important way this book practices what it preaches is that the importance of self-awareness and fine tuning is emphasized. I believe that self-awareness is crucial. The authors say that keeping food journals or a dairy is not necessary - which I disagree with.

Chapter 10 is the best in the book, in my view, as it turns theory into practice on an important subject weight mangement. This is a diet book afterall and most readers will be reading this book for a weight loss solution. I believe that this book delivers. For me energy was the solution it provided.

Bad

Despite having a simple solution to weight loss, they feel the need to back it up with complex theory. In my view, they end up creating a pseudo-science that adds little if any value. The irony, after earlier proving a good critique of where medicine goes wrong by being symptom oriented, the book tries to be scientific. Some of it is necessary to provide accurate questions, but much of it is not.

In the end, analysing seven systems is too complex and given solution may be unnecessary. Metabolic profiling would be a better aim for the book. So beware of further tests, especially those on internet. There are copy cats out there. This book proves to be more.

This diet also falls short in some regards. It could be crudely characterised as a version of the Aitkins diet. That would be unfair, but appears to support any calories. If you identify yourself as a high protein type who needs more protein and fats, don't concern yourself too much with the source. Its not as good fat aware as it should be. Nor are there warnings about all those empty calories we consume.

There was an attempt at onselling services, but it wasn't a hard sell. If the authors are trying to make extra money so be it.

Conclusion

So this book turned out to be a good read. As I said at the start, it was off to a good start when it confirmed why recent changes in my diet worked. For all this promise, I believe that it fails to establish itself as a science - is pseudo-science too harsh a term? You'll may decide that for yourself.

Chapter 10 combines the theory and the practice. When this diet works you should attain your natural weight. Believe me that is a great thing and if this diet became popular its adherents would become more healthy through this alone.

Eating the right proportion of macronutrients is important for overall health. This diet succeeds in making that point. There is no need, in my opinion, to make a science of it.