Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: travel insurance
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 pm 

Hi All,
Surely someone has found travel insurance for a pre- existing medical condition ( brain tumour ) I have searched endlessly and cant seem to find a company that will cover me as my family would love to travel overseas next year when i am well enough, I know my medicare card does cover me in some countries but none off these are places I wish to travel to. It makes you wonder how many people actually do take the risk to have a holiday! Maybe I might take a cruise as I wouldnt be as paranoid as flying!
Bon Voyage Stacy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:23 pm 

Stacy;

Try this site. It has an insurance finder tool avaiable.

http://www.travelinsuranceaustralia.com.au/Default.aspx

Good luck with your search.

Regards

Fraser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 pm 

Hi
We travelled with my husband to the USA without Insurance. We evaluated the pros and cons and decided that the pros outweighed the cons. In our evaluation we factored in the worst case scenario ie he had to be flown home as a matter of emergency or he was hospitalised and could not fly home until stabilised. It was a long process to decide but In the end and after consultation with doctors and reliable sources we decided to take the risks and have the 3 week holiday. It was the best decision we made. Our trip was made totally with my husbands needs and health in mind. After all this agonising because we couldnt get health insurance he told me that all those 20 years of flying to the states every year to windsurf that he had never taken out insurance. Now thats a risk! Im glad I didnt know about that until after the event. For us, taking the risk was worthwhile and one of the best family holidays we had, but its not a guarantee to anyone else. Although we factored in the worst case scenario, probably our biggest risk was that he may have a mal seizure which fortunately he didnt. However dehydration was a real issue to stay on top of, fatigue was another particularly after the flight and during the hotter days and of course keeping the food up when your on Dexa. For the bags of medication I had a doctors certificate in case I was questioned. So there are plenty of things to consider before you make the decision. I have no doubt that you and your family will make exactly the right decision, and if you choose not to go then there are some magnificant places in Australia to go and with an International budget in a domestic country you could just about do it all 5 Star!

Post subject: travel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:09 pm 

Hi Donna,
Ive booked a P&o cruise for next May, so that makes me feel abit safer, they have a small hospital on board and have mentioned when booking my condition, all they asked for was a list of meds and docs letter and suggested I have T Insurance but didnt stipulate I must have it, I guess the stress of finding a company was driving me nuts so Ill take the chance as we will be in the South Pacific Islands and not to far in case of major emergency.
Thanks Stacy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:43 am 

Excellent, sounds like you have thought it through, just be sure to keep up the fluids and rest well. Enjoy the anticipation of the trip and then the trip. Good for you

Post subject: Re: travel insurance
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:47 pm 

Hello everyone, I have been looking for a direct travel insurance that would cover both medical and dental as well as perhaps death cover in Australia to begin with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.