Brain Tumour Survivor

A site dedicated to leading edge treatment for brain tumours
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: The Happiness Project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:46 am 

The Happiness Project

Ok - there may be an element of self promotion tied up in this project - but who doesn't want to be happier? I believe we cancer patients more than anyone need more happiness in our lives. No one is happy about the diagnosis of cancer and the treatment can be rough, but we are faced with a choice to improve the quality of our lives by becoming happier.

http://www.happiness-project.com/

I've had a quick look around the site and watched the initial video. From what I can tell there is an authentic aim underpinning this project - to make people happier. Gretchen Rubin reminds me of Mortimer Adler in some respects. For those who have not heard of him, Mortimer Adler wrote many books about the wisdom of Aristotle and how the wisdom of this great thinker was still relevant now.

2010 is the third year since my diagnosis and I am looking for ways to improve the quality of my life, with the hope that this provides the addition benefit in quantity.

Here is an interesting quote from her blog on the site:
"One thing I’ve learned from my happiness project – and it’s an uncomfortable truth – is that novelty and challenge bring happiness. In fact, the reason I started this blog was to force myself to do something novel and challenging, and it has indeed brought me huge happiness." Of course, change can be a double edged sword that adds happiness when it is thoughtful, well planned and doesn't add additional stress.

I wish every one a happier and healthier New Year!